Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
Good thing you don't live on the Panhandle. I do recall driving through there (on the way to Orlando) and there was enough snow/ice on the road for a trucker to lie down his rig on the side, blocking everything - 25mile traffic....good thing I was going in the opposite direction. So, yes cold can happen in Texas :>).

Can't say anything about foam insulation. But, if you do exterior diligently any conventional (fiberglass) insulation will cover any light that may try to squeeze through. Also, what sorts of walls are you intending to install on the interior, OSB ? I can smell the formaldehyde all the way here :>).

Any water coming directly from the hose will likely be too warm to use in the darkroom, no ? Urrr, unless it's 2AM.

Yes, the Panasonic "whisper" type are really good. I have one in the bathroom (less than 3' from my ear) and v. often I forget it's there at all. I also used Ultra Silent Broan throughout the house, and they are v. quiet as well - not sure of the availability of this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V03_5270.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	192899

Les
Yes it can (re: cold) but in the summer, it's hot and humid. Too hot for chemicals let alone me to work in a shed without AC for sure Even at night. But the fall through spring would be pretty nice once the sun goes down for a while.

Yeah I read the foam, particularly if not cured properly, can be nasty. I'd have someone professionally install that. Fiberglass/batt I feel like I'd have to cover up with something. I've always found that stuff to be dusty and am wary of breathing in anything coming from that stuff as well. I don't really need OSB except for that. I don't want sheetrock because that stuff just makes putting anything on the wall more difficult. I had thought about the radiant barrier styrofoam stuff too. It has a pretty low R-value but it's cheap and easy to install.

Yes, the water from the tap is warmer than ideal in the summer but that's a problem I already have. I haven't had any adverse affects with prints, but also tend to mix up print developer in distilled water at room temp. I was worried about reticulation with film washing but so far that hasn't been an issue. I can't see any different in prints there. One thing about a shed darkroom is I can better control temperature than I can now, so that may aide in the print developing process.

Good to hear about the Panasonic. Gosh our house fans our loud. I see Panasonic has a conversion kit so wondering if I can replace some of my bathroom ones (including my current bathroom/darkroom - it could stand to have more ventilation than it does, certainly for the amount of noise it currently puts out).

BTW thanks for all the great ideas and help everyone! Gave me a ton to think about!