Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Avoiding harassment when shooting in the street

Re: Avoiding harassment when shooting in the street

Montreal is a craphole. At one time it had a lot of potential but that was before the 1970s.

The “why” is not an appropriate discussion topic for LFPF.

No train to the airport is the least of the problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Last time I was in Montreal was 2008

I was amazed how the junkies were camping on sidewalks

and openly sell junk

I like the underground

but why no train from airport?

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    I’ve had this sort of crap doing urban landscape photography many times, not only with the fuzz, but occasionally subway ‘cops’ and security guards. I found it worst from a # of incidents perspective in the years following nine-eleven, but the level of danger is probably higher now when it comes to the likelihood of being shot or clubbed or choked or shaken down by the law here.
    one of the reasons I have focused non-camera based work (except for paid HABS and editorial ) the past 20 years is because of just this, over-reach by people - badged authorities and and non-badged people who think they are doing people a favor by being the equivalent of a vigilante. ( around here these days they sometimes drag flags of all sorts behind their pick up trucks ... faux pollice, faux patriotte )

I’m regularly harassed by police, US Park Rangers, security guards, and General busy bodies when shooting large format. Police came once and said I had been reported as setting up a cannon. With medium and 35mm, I’m generally ignored. When shooting urbanscapes, I’m hit on by beggars regardless of formant.

Re: exposed film

Hire off duty cops in uniform

I was forced to hire them 24/7 by ARTIC

as I was a Grad student shooting inside my old AVION all comers got 3 min video, 100's

cost of permit $25 was low, compared to manditory event Insurance

Downtown Chicago, I parked my Airsteam for 3 weekends

Basiclly a movie or stills shoot is always welcome
    Tin Can

The ‘militarization’ of the police and shift to an absurdly over-the-top risk management mindset haven’t helped. Anyway, as j.e.simmons posted above, it’s harassment. I just expect it.

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    one of the reasons I have focused non-camera based work (except for paid HABS and editorial ) the past 20 years is because of just this, over-reach by people - badged authorities and and non-badged people who think they are doing people a favor by being the equivalent of a vigilante. ( around here these days they sometimes drag flags of all sorts behind their pick up trucks ... faux pollice, faux patriotte )

Quote Originally Posted by j.e.simmons View Post
    I’m regularly harassed by police, US Park Rangers, security guards, and General busy bodies when shooting large format. Police came once and said I had been reported as setting up a cannon. With medium and 35mm, I’m generally ignored. When shooting urbanscapes, I’m hit on by beggars regardless of formant.
    Harassed by Park Rangers? How did they harass you?

Quote Originally Posted by drj52 View Post
    Harassed by Park Rangers? How did they harass you?
    Doug Houk (a member here) and I were shooting at Cumberland Island National Seashore. It was nearing the end of the day and we were sitting at picnic tables resting and waiting for the time to catch the ferry back. Our view cameras were set up on their tripods. A park ranger came flying across a grassy open area in his pickup, charged right up to us, hopped out of the truck and demanded to know what we were doing. He said there were reports that we were setting up cannons. For once in my life, I had sense to keep my mouth shut and let Doug, who is much more diplomatic that I, deal with him.

Many boys of our generation made shot-shell cannons in shop class

I did not

I made slot car wheels on a 20 fl WW Ii lathe

That did make cannons with auto taper
    Tin Can

I have been asked by a Washington State Park Ranger if I had a permit to photograph in a local State Park. She said that my equipment looked like "professional equipment." I explained that my equipment was old (the newest from the 1980's) and that I was a hobbyist.

I took photographs in downtown Seattle some years ago, before Covid. I was set up across from the then fairly new Seattle Public Library. At that time there were few people living on the street. It was late in the afternoon, a man walked by and said "that looks like a very expensive camera" I felt uneasy by how he said it. If I went back to photograph I thought that I should have someone watching my back.
    Last edited by Robert Opheim; 31-Aug-2023 at 12:54. Reason: edit

National Parks (and some state parks) seem to have become very concerned about "professional photographers" in the past 20 years or so. I think it is because they require commercial photographers (wedding photographers, product photos, models, etc.) to pay for permits to shoot on premises. But for those of us who are doing this as a hobby, or "fine art' (however you wish to define it), or testing a new piece of gear, or film/developer combo; we haven't paid their fees for permits to carry big, heavy tripods and cameras around. They are not recouping any cost from us. Just my $0.02 or WAG.

Years ago, I was setting up a tripod in front of the Alamo in downtown San Antonio, when a guy in uniform and a badge that said "Alamo Ranger" nicely, but firmly insisted I could not set up my camera because I was on private property (it isn't--it has been owned by the State of Texas since 1883). Anyway, I decided that discretion was the better part of valor that day and left. Some time later, I was also approached by the National Park Police while setting up near one of the old Spanish missions that make up San Antonio Spanish Missions National Historical Park. I was polite and respectful regarding his questions. I didn't have a business card with me, but I did have my faculty ID from the large, state university where I worked at the time. He took that and went back to his cruiser to call it in. When he came back to return my ID, he said, "You know, if you had been here about two hours earlier, the light would have been much better. Coming in from that direction over there, gives the building some nice side-lighting."

What's the old saying, "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar?"

Best,

Joel
    "I am not a technician and have no interest in technique for its own sake. If my technique is adequate to present my seeing, then I need nothing more.” Edward Weston