Quote Originally Posted by Joel Kitchens View Post
National Parks (and some state parks) seem to have become very concerned about "professional photographers" in the past 20 years or so. I think it is because they require commercial photographers (wedding photographers, product photos, models, etc.) to pay for permits to shoot on premises. But for those of us who are doing this as a hobby, or "fine art' (however you wish to define it), or testing a new piece of gear, or film/developer combo; we haven't paid their fees for permits to carry big, heavy tripods and cameras around. They are not recouping any cost from us. Just my $0.02 or WAG.

Years ago, I was setting up a tripod in front of the Alamo in downtown San Antonio, when a guy in uniform and a badge that said "Alamo Ranger" nicely, but firmly insisted I could not set up my camera because I was on private property (it isn't--it has been owned by the State of Texas since 1883). Anyway, I decided that discretion was the better part of valor that day and left. Some time later, I was also approached by the National Park Police while setting up near one of the old Spanish missions that make up San Antonio Spanish Missions National Historical Park. I was polite and respectful regarding his questions. I didn't have a business card with me, but I did have my faculty ID from the large, state university where I worked at the time. He took that and went back to his cruiser to call it in. When he came back to return my ID, he said, "You know, if you had been here about two hours earlier, the light would have been much better. Coming in from that direction over there, gives the building some nice side-lighting."

What's the old saying, "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar?"

Best,

Joel
This weekend, the wife and I went to Cumberland Island off the coast of GA and did some 5x7 photography. It’s amazing how many people want to talk to you about your “old looking” camera. I had indeed brought out the old Korona as it needed some air. All of the people who approached me, including a Park Ranger, were very cordial and were very interested in the process. One guy even asked if I could set it up, as I walk around with it on the tripod over my shoulder, so he and his wife could take some pics of it. Another couple, maybe in their twenties, I even let get under the dark cloth and check out the image, afterward he asked me where the film comes out.

For reference, I have always gotten the same reaction in all of the parks in FL and NC as well. Now, whenever I use a more “modern looking” camera, that’s when I typically get, at best, indifference. Sometimes I’ll get some not so nice encounters as well. It seems to me that an old wooden camera really lowers people’s guard and makes them less likely to be annoyed by your presence.