Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Do you use 100% of a LF negative?

Re: Do you use 100% of a LF negative?

Consistent and unbending comes from the passage of a few decades at doing this sheet film stuff. Fortunate to have the opportunity to experiment with film during the peak of the film era circa late 1980's to mid-1990's. Add being able to spend time with more than a few excellent Artist-Photographers will affect your own work. With more passage of time, one can and does develop their own style, preferred tools and all related as a means of creative expression. Essentially, I'm going to say what needs to be said regardless of any external opinions, criticisms or ... but know this is well tempered by all those decades of studying Art, Science, Math, Literature, Engineering, Materials fabrication and a lot more. All of which will be applied to this image making endeavor.

From Jonathan Haidt
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jonathan Haidt, Truth to stand clear.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	192877

If you want the truth to stand clear before you, never be for or against.
    The struggle between 'for' and 'against' is the mind's worst disease;”
    ― Jianzhi Sengcan

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Bernice is a consistent and welcome standards bearer for better or worse. I differ, but am just another person. We all are. I stated my unimportant position earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Consistent and unbending comes from the passage of a few decades at doing this sheet film stuff.
    My aching 73 year-old body with over 50 years of photography begs to differ.

Not far behind Jac...

Bernice

My aching 73 year-old body with over 50 years of photography begs to differ.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Not far behind Jac...

Bernice
    Me too. “Far” seems to becoming increasingly relative! Started LF in 1978. But chronologically I’m probably well behind both of you.

Not far behind Jac...

Bernice
    Take care of yourself. We are paying now for our youth. Gads, it's expensive!

Did not do much of the self indulgent youth thing. Most of my youth was spent trying to care for me in good ways. This has worked out OK so far. Others from my past have done much of the most self indulgent things in their youth are now forced to deal with their youthful indulgences with significant cost in many ways.

Short term thinking is one of the innate human impulses.

Bernice

Take care of yourself. We are paying now for our youth. Gads, it's expensive!

...Short term thinking is one of the innate human impulses.Bernice
    "Moderation in all things, including moderation" has been a guiding principle for me.

Of course, 30 years of full-on basketball, a decade of working in the wilderness (including being kicked in the knee by a mule and some fire-fighting), tree planting (carrying 600 trees around my waist up and down steep slopes), backpacking with 60 to 90 pound packs, and that sort of thing have taken a toll on my knees (3 operations including a new ACL) might be considered excessive wear-and-tear. But perhaps that is why, even though my heart goes out of rhythm reguarily, I can still pack around 60 pounds of camera -- just not as far, nor as fast.

My kids, photography, and curiosity helps to keep this old funky heart beating by giving it a reason to. Politics, religions, and the state of the world certainly does not do it for me.

Dang -- what this has to do with using 100+% of a negative I have no idea.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Tree planting is 100%.

My Norwegian father had us planting 1000's of trees at 2 ideal locations. Long windbreaks.

Then he sold the lands. He specifically did not want his 3 sons to have it.

I visit the trees every 10 years or so and sure wish I owned that land.

Oh Minnesota...

Well, the first few 10k trees were on cut and burnt timber company land, at 2.9 cents a tree in the ground. More industrial than ecological. Later we bid on the contracts ourselves -- gov't and private land restoration, aiming at $10/hr in the late 70s. Did some more planting when I worked for the US Forest Service in the 80s. It would be nice to go back and see the trees. I have been back in the wilderness I once managed -- somewhat sad to see the trails revert back to the shape I found before I got them after spending ten years getting them back in good condition...but it is more like a wilderness when the tails disappear.

What is it about Norwegians? The midnight sun and the noontime darkness must affect the genes...tough strong-willed people.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I really know little about Norwegian anything.

Father also forbid the language, he was 1st generation. Assimilation was his goal. We had little contact with any relatives. He disliked them.

He made us so tough that all 3 sons no longer speak to each other. If I see either I will defend myself violently. I am middle son, runt at 70 inches.

King Lear.

Peace