Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Affordable 8x10: Any Other Game than Intrepid?

Re: Affordable 8x10: Any Other Game than Intrepid?

None of those apply to the Wehman cameras, other than having a wooden rear standard. I agree, Deardorffs are not precise and are massively overrated IMO, having used one myself. I invite you to take a look at the Wehman photo I posted in the "Behind the Scenes" thread - no bellows limitations here.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I love my Toyo AX, but all of the niggles with an Intrepid 8x10 MKII could be fixed without getting anywhere near the cost and weight of a Toyo 810m. I use a Sinar shutter regularly in the studio. I would not want to use it in the field. If I have to for some reason, then I'd use a Sinar P2.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Not to be a broken record here, but you haven't used a Wehman 8x10 I would guess.

Really, I don't know why they weren't more popular, other than being called "ugly." It certainly doesn't have the old-school charm of the Chamonix and other fine wooden cameras, nor the modern aesthetic of metal cameras, but I think it has its own space-age feel.
    I owned a Wehman 8x10 for a bit - I did not get along with it at all and sold it off in short order. I was impressed by the design (and it is a smart design), but in the end I was unimpressed with the execution of the design. Certain parts (like the springback/rear standard) were great, but other parts (the front standard and the whole twin channel rail system that it slid on) I found to be rough. It was fine with wide angle/short lenses but when I needed to add the front clamshell to use a long lens I thought the setup felt flimsy. I have never used a Chamonix but I did own a Philips (which is the camera the Chamonix took their design from). I found the Philips to be more solid overall and far more stable at longer extensions. I can only assume that the Chamonix would be just as stable as the Philips. That being said I wouldn't consider any of these cameras to be "affordable" in todays market. When I decided to get back into 8x10 I picked up a Magnesium Kodak Commercial camera and I think it is a great mix of affordability, simplicity, and stability.

I'll start by saying : sperdynamite, Congratulations on the Chamonix. Great choice. I know it will serve you well.
    I agree entirely with Bernice that going cheap on the camera is "penny wise pound foolish." I've owned & used 8x10 Deardorffs and Canham, and when I decided to sell, I got a high percentage of my money back. If you're going to work with LF it's going to cost money. A new Toyo 8x10 holder costs $300. 5 boxes of 10 sheets of 8x10 Kodak TMY2 costs $500. Good used holders are $100 a pop....& you haven't bought a lens yet.
    I don't see cameras like the Intrepid as a good value for money primarily because they're not built to last. I used a '38 Deardorff 5x7 for many years. It worked flawlessly, for me, as i am sure it will for its new owner. There are plenty of old Deardorffs, Empire States, Kodak Masterviews, Toyos, Linhofs that keep on ticking. Unlike the consumerism inherent in (previously) 35mm photography & now in digital cameras, LF lends itself well to taking a tool buyers approach: buy a well-designed tool that will last...& use it.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Y View Post
    I'll start by saying : sperdynamite, Congratulations on the Chamonix. Great choice. I know it will serve you well.
    I agree entirely with Bernice that going cheap on the camera is "penny wise pound foolish." I've owned & used 8x10 Deardorffs and Canham, and when I decided to sell, I got a high percentage of my money back. If you're going to work with LF it's going to cost money. A new Toyo 8x10 holder costs $300. 5 boxes of 10 sheets of 8x10 Kodak TMY2 costs $500. Good used holders are $100 a pop....& you haven't bought a lens yet.
    I don't see cameras like the Intrepid as a good value for money primarily because they're not built to last. I used a '38 Deardorff 5x7 for many years. It worked flawlessly, for me, as i am sure it will for its new owner. There are plenty of old Deardorffs, Empire States, Kodak Masterviews, Toyos, Linhofs that keep on ticking. Unlike the consumerism inherent in (previously) 35mm photography & now in digital cameras, LF lends itself well to taking a tool buyers approach: buy a well-designed tool that will last...& use it.
    Well said Greg!

+1

Quote Originally Posted by dap View Post
    I owned a Wehman 8x10 for a bit
    Well certainly there can be differing opinions. Also depends on how one works. I don't tend to use long lenses, so actually rarely even have the clamshell on - though with a 450mm Nikkor-M I don't have any complaints about stability, as long as the tripod is solid.

I tried an 8x10 Chamonix and was not a fan personally, though I like the 4x5 ones.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I got the Intrepid because it's light; not because it's cheap. It's almost a good camera.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    It's almost a good camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Y View Post
    If you're going to work with LF it's going to cost money. A new Toyo 8x10 holder costs $300.
    No. A new Toyo 8x10 holder costs 15,930 JPY plus shipping.

Kumar

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Well certainly there can be differing opinions. Also depends on how one works. I don't tend to use long lenses, so actually rarely even have the clamshell on - though with a 450mm Nikkor-M I don't have any complaints about stability, as long as the tripod is solid.

I tried an 8x10 Chamonix and was not a fan personally, though I like the 4x5 ones.
    Thank goodness there are plenty of different makes and models of cameras out there to service all of those different opinions
    Last edited by dap; 12-Jun-2020 at 22:05.