I received the following e-mail last evening from Bruce's son, Evan:

This is a difficult email to write and, I’m sure, a difficult email to read.

It’s my unfortunate responsibility to share that my father, Bruce Barlow, died early yesterday morning.

As many of you know, he had been diagnosed with advanced liver cancer in late April, and had begun treatment. Regardless, his death on Sunday came as a shock. It was very sudden. His doctor believes it was a pulmonary embolism. I expected, he expected, to have more time. He was 64.

I am grateful to have been with him at his home in Maine when it occurred. And I am grateful for the support so many have offered throughout his illness, as well as in the brief time since his death.

My father was clear that he didn’t want a service, and we plan to respect his wishes. I am working with my Aunt Karen, Bruce’s sister, to decide how best to honor and celebrate him within the bounds he requested, and we will be sure to share anything relevant as it’s determined.

He was a man with an indefatigable spirit, a giver of wisdom, humor, and kindness, and a cherished part of many lives. I owe him debts that can never be repaid—mainly the privilege of being his son. I respected him. I admired him. I loved him. He was a true north that I could always turn to for sound advice—comforting words or a kick in the pants. He inspired me and he elevated me.

I hope many of you were able to connect with him in recent weeks, but I know that this news has likely caught you off guard. We have all suffered a great loss. My father still feels very present, and I cannot say that the reality of this situation has truly set in. But onward we travel.

Many of us in the LF community have been touched by Bruce's unselfish sharing of his knowledge. I consider Bruce to be my photographic mentor and close friend. I first became aware of Bruce when Fred Picker mentioned him in one of his quarterly newsletters. It seems Fred preached practice the mechanical stuff so you could do it quickly and repeatedly, then praised Bruce as the only student he ever had who actually took the tripod out of the car, set it up, leveled the camera front to back, left to right and was ready to take a photograph in under a minute. Bruce was also featured in the Zone VI video Printing With Fred Picker. I first met Bruce at one of the Fine Focus Workshops he, Richard Ritter and the late Ted Harris hosted. I attended a few of their workshops and was introduced to many well accomplished photographers. He will be missed.

Thoughts and prayers for Bruce, his family and loved ones. Rest in Peace, my friend, Rest in Peace.