Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buy used Toyo w/accessories or brand new Chamonix

Re: Buy used Toyo w/accessories or brand new Chamonix

I visited your web site. You should treat yourself to a good camera! You'll clearly put it to good use.

The thing about bellows is they are basically consumables. Sometimes it takes a lifetime to consume one... but often not. I went through three sets of used bellows for Toyo cameras (a rail camera -- not the one you're looking at). All had light leaks that made them unusable. I also went through the whole "cycle of bellows repair"; in my experience, the cycle begins with hope and optimism and ends with sadness and frustration. After a huge effort I was able to "repair" the best of the Toyo original bellows, but it ended up a somewhat goopy mess with poor long term prospects. I bought a new bellows from the Hong Kong bellows maker on eBay; the second version is great and I now have light proof bellows on my camera.

All of this is to say there's a chance the bellows on any used large format camera are leaky and may need to be replaced. Does the seller "guarantee" it's light proof, and will he/she take it back at seller's expense if it's not? Are you willing and able to replace the bellows yourself? One thing a Chamonix camera has going for it is it's new (or newer), so too the bellows.

Quote Originally Posted by rdeloe View Post
    ...You should treat yourself to a good camera! You'll clearly put it to good use.
    Now if somehow I could get my wife to say this.

I was nearly burned when I bought my Sinar Norma from ebay but the seller was kind enough to send me a brand new one. Thankfully, because I don't think i would have had to patience to try and mend it.

The Chamonix being new and still in production making replacement parts easier is a point in it's favor.

Quote Originally Posted by prestonedavis View Post
    The Chamonix being new and still in production making replacement parts easier is a point in it's favor.
    The Toyo 45AX is still sold new and is AFAIK is still serviced in the US by its distributor here, MAC Group. Whether it's still in production I don't know, but it hasn't been discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    The Toyo 45AX is still sold new and is AFAIK is still serviced in the US by its distributor here, MAC Group. Whether it's still in production I don't know, but it hasn't been discontinued.
    Yes, I’ve seen them sold new. Not sure about the production part though.

Toyo cameras are still produced, though on a much smaller scale now.

Kumar

Can't go wrong with a Chamonix. I have the 045N-2, 8x10, and 11x14. Love them all.

Just chiming in with 2¢. I am a regular user of a Toyo 45A, an older one, probably 20 years old. It is a sturdy workhorse, solidly built, rugged and takes the abuse I put it through. It's easy to set up and has a reasonable amount of movements. My only complaint, and it's possible this is just mine, but the front swings are difficult to align square to the rear. I use a caliper to check it. Other than that, I am pleased with it.

I think I'll pull the trigger on the Chamonix. Beauty and weight seem to be winning out. Now I have to decide between the 45f-2 or the 45H-1. To be honest, it's hard to tell what the real differences are and how they would impact me when I'm out shooting.

By all means get the Chamonix! You will be much happier over time.

I just bought the Chamonix 45f-2. Thanks for all the input. I consider this case closed.