This works depending on the intensity of the ambient light -vs- power of the flash bulb. If one were to use one of those "nuke" Edison base flash bulbs at short distance (10 ft_ish), ambient light intensity is not likely going to be a problem .... Ever. Do this same measurement with a Kodak Flash cube, ambient light -vs- shutter time and built light intensity will be a problem at ... 10ft.

Really a question of bulb burn up time -vs- film speed -vs- shutter open time. Possible to make an ambient light measurement for a given film speed and shutter speed, then figure in this exposure to the amount of light that would be added by the flash bulb.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
Correct, and to add: Concerning the flash meter with flashbulbs. It is my understanding that if one uses cord mode with correct set shutter speed (or longer) in meter, then a correct flashbulb reading will be made. The cord by-passes sensing of the initiation of flash because bulbs have a long, gentle rise-time which w/o cord mode cannot reliably trigger the meter.

Thank you for any correction you may offer, Bernice.

I am suddenly tempted to try cord-mode with my 1.7 second duration bulbs.