Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Comparing Currently In-production 4X5 Field Cameras

Re: Comparing Currently In-production 4X5 Field Cameras

Which would be a really light 4x5 camera to use for landscapes?

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Which would be a really light 4x5 camera to use for landscapes?

I've been using the Chamonix 045n for the past decade for exactly that. It is light and folds up compactly. I was once lusting for an Ebony because they are so pretty, but came to realize the conditions I photo in can be harsh and I would be dinging up a very expensive camera. I think lens choice is more important than a camera. I've settled on: Nikon 75mm f5.6, Nikon 90mm f4.5, Rodenstock 135mm f5.6, Fuji 180mm f5.6, Nikon 300mm f9. If I had to settle on a set just for hiking all day it would be a 90mm f8, 135mm f5.6, 180mm f5.6, 300mm f9. If weight is even more of a concern then replace the 135mm & 180mm with a 150mm f5.6. Lenses are more the key than a camera.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Lightweight is my middle name.

I carry Wista DXs currently (or the SW in city situations). The lightest camera I've worked with is the Horseman Woodman. It's capable but really no frills.

If I were buying again, I'd look at the Chamonix cameras. Canham cameras look superb, but, unfortunately, out of my price range.

Doremus

AuditorOne, the Intripd is a great camera. The weight, especially, makes it appealing and the Mark IV looks amazing. Logically, I haven't ruled it out. My only concern is that I really want one that's primarily Aluminum or CF (though I know the latter is outside of my budget.)

Havoc. You're welcome! I figured someone else would need this data, too.

Hugo Zhang, thank you. I'll check into the local pricing and try to figure out where my data were wrong.

Bob Salomon, I didn't realize they were still making cameras. I'll check into their models and update the spreadsheet.

Peter Lewin and Bernice Loui, thank you and the detent point is very important to me. I wasn't able to find any info on whether or not any of the camera models had good zero detents. I was giving serious thought to seeing if Keith Canham would let me test drive a DLC2 in exchange for a review on my YouTube channel (which is at just shy of 20K subscribers, so it's not huge but also not shabby.) Based just on specs, I'd choose the Canham hands down, and good customer service is super important to me, too. So even though the Gibellini is the one I really want (I think they look spectacular), the Canham is very likely the one I'll choose, and you comments are helping solidify that.

Two23, Thank you and I didn't realize how light he Chamonix are. I suspect that over the next few decades the weight will be a significantly greater issue for me.

Scheinfluger_77, THANK YOU! It's been getting harder as I've crossed the half-way mark. It's been nice to not need my inhaler any more, to punch more holes in my belt than it originally came with, and to see my old clothes that were a bit snug fitting like clown clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Many Cameras View Post
    AuditorOne, the Intripd is a great camera. The weight, especially, makes it appealing and the Mark IV looks amazing. Logically, I haven't ruled it out. My only concern is that I really want one that's primarily Aluminum or CF (though I know the latter is outside of my budget.)

Havoc. You're welcome! I figured someone else would need this data, too.

Hugo Zhang, thank you. I'll check into the local pricing and try to figure out where my data were wrong.

Bob Salomon, I didn't realize they were still making cameras. I'll check into their models and update the spreadsheet.

Peter Lewin and Bernice Loui, thank you and the detent point is very important to me. I wasn't able to find any info on whether or not any of the camera models had good zero detents. I was giving serious thought to seeing if Keith Canham would let me test drive a DLC2 in exchange for a review on my YouTube channel (which is at just shy of 20K subscribers, so it's not huge but also not shabby.) Based just on specs, I'd choose the Canham hands down, and good customer service is super important to me, too. So even though the Gibellini is the one I really want (I think they look spectacular), the Canham is very likely the one I'll choose, and you comments are helping solidify that.

Two23, Thank you and I didn't realize how light he Chamonix are. I suspect that over the next few decades the weight will be a significantly greater issue for me.

Scheinfluger_77, THANK YOU! It's been getting harder as I've crossed the half-way mark. It's been nice to not need my inhaler any more, to punch more holes in my belt than it originally came with, and to see my old clothes that were a bit snug fitting like clown clothes.
    If aluminum, flexibility, full range of front and back movements, 20” bellows, able to use 35mm lens then you should also look at the Linhof TK45 or the TK45S. They both open to a full monorail and collapse to about the size of a hard back book.