Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Going to try Techpan

Re: Going to try Techpan

SLIMT is an option. I used to use TD-3, back when TP was available new.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

TP is an inherently high-contrast film with a short tonal scale. it takes care in exposure and development to get good results, but it has a unique look when you get it right.
    I'd try Formulary TD-3- it was designed for your purposes. The Kodak formulas will be unreliable at best by now due to age, and I've never had good luck with extreme dilutions of standard developers.
    Steve Anchell, in 'The Film Developer Cookbook', has written very intelligently about microfilms and their characteristics, when used for continuous-tone photography.
    Last edited by Mark Sampson; 13-May-2019 at 21:50. Reason: added info

I think the technidol liquid might still be good if it was sealed. I messed around with some 35mm some years ago and found box speed worked okay, and as others have said, that bright sunlight worked better then cloudy days...Cloudy days had a weird simultaneously too contrasty and too flat look.

Agree with the comment about turning down the agitation on your Jobo, I also had issues with overdeveloped edges. maybe use a couple sheets on the same scene and test some different exposures....

Dealing with Tech Pan is tricky in development, as it is easy to get uneven density... Follow whatever Kodak info you find regards to agitation, especially start of development...

As for the old developer, it might work, but making your own is cheap and simple, something like 1/10gm phenidone (or 1 gm metol) and something like 10 gm sodium sulfite in a liter of water (but don't quote me, look it up)... Sorta a very dilute D-23... Buying this small amount of chems would be very cheap...

Remember, this was a semi line film, and you are trying to control the contrast by using very weak developer, but the film wants to go very contrasty in any other developer, even very dilute versions...

I still have a 125ft roll of 35mm I haven't used yet, but with my roll tests, it was hard to get even development... And the spectral response can be screwy, as well as contrast...

Steve K

Technidol concentrate has "indefinite" shelf live according kodak, but 6 month after mixing. If your technidol is in shape it would be best choice.

If not, the simple choice is HC-110 Dil F for low contrast scenes, in the shadow, etc

For high contrast scenes a low contrast developer or compensating (stand, etc) is required.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	techpan.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	191311

HC-110 Dil F is the less wild choice (in the datasheet) after Technidol, 0.8 Contrast Index with HC-110 may be suitable for low contrast scenes.

Some developers suitable for low contrast processing (Beyond Technidol) are:

POTA,
    Adotech II (ATP-DC especially made by SPUR for the Rollei the CMS20 micro film)
    Caffenol,
    Delagi,
    Agfa 14, (formula here http://bjornburton.org/agfa.html.gz)
    Tetenal Neofin Doku , sadly RIP, some at ebay

and... T/O XDR-4, TDLC-101 series , ATP-DC A/B,

POTA has high fog and streaking problems with TP, Film Development Cookbook (Anchel/Troop) has modified POTA formulas:

Modified POTA
    Water (52C) 750 ml
    Sodium Sulfite (anh) 10 g
    Phenidone 500 mg
    Pyrogallol
    or
    Hydroquinone 250 mg
    Water to 1L

Develop 11min 20ºC

_______

From a post I saved from Photrio:

This modification is an attempt to optimize POTA for Technical Pan film. Add borax or sodium bicarbonate as desired to control time, contrast, and speed. Develop 11 minutes.

TDLC-101 and TDLC-102 modify POTA by adding a second developing agent (glycin) to stabilize it. The variation also raises the contrast a bit.
    TDLC-101
    Sodium Sulfite (anh) 4 g
    Phenidone 100 mg
    Glycin 500 mg
    Sodium bicarbonate 20 g

TDLC-102
    Sodiun sulfite (anh) 4 g
    Phenidone 250 mg
    Glycin 250 mg
    Sodium bicarbonate 5 g
    Both TDLC-101 and TDLC-102 could be modified by adding 1 to 10 mg of potassium iodide.
    Another variation would be to add 50 ml per liter of isopropyl alcohol.

Delagi-8 is said to raise both the speed and the sharpness of Technical Pan compared to POTA development.
    Delagi-8
    Sodium sulfite 25 g
    Phenidone 1.4 g
    Borax (decahydrate) 2 g
    Benzotriazole 0.2% 15 ml
    Substitute sodium metaborate for borax to get higher speed and contrast.
    Note:
    Benzotriazole may not be active at low pH and could be eliminated. Potassium
    bromide or iodide might also be substituted.

(Glycin can be found in Photographer's Formulary web store.)

_____

I've been playing with low contrast developers for CMS 20...

for those that yearn techpan... we have Adox CMS 20 in 4x5" sheets. Sharper (crazy 800 line Pairs per mm at high contrast) than Techpan and even more painful, well, quite a lot more painful, so total fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I wouldn't recommend Rodinal or anything else highly active.
    Rodinal can used if highly diluted. Wikipedia says it !!!! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_Pan

With Rodinal: E.I. 15 , 1+150 for 6:30 minutes at 20C.

I've used a lot of tech pan in the past, and still have a stash along with technidol. as mentioned I'd use the technidol first, then the TD-3 probably. 3 pouches is enough for 24 oz of developer which can be used twice, so depending on how you develop, you might have enough to run all 24 sheets in it, possibly.

Try to find the Kodak tech brochure for TP. (I have a copy buried somewhere.) It will explain, with curves, some of the various contrast levels achievable with Kodak's developers. Of course they don't mention any other manufacturer's products, or any home brews, but it will give you an excellent overview of what the film is capable of. (I often had to refer to it in my Kodak days.)
    Last edited by Mark Sampson; 14-May-2019 at 10:16. Reason: more context

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Try to find the Kodak tech brochure for TP.
    Kodak still has the 2002 edition posted:

http://wwwru.kodak.com/RU/ru/profess.../p255/p255.pdf

The Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    I've used a lot of tech pan in the past, and still have a stash along with technidol. as mentioned I'd use the technidol first, then the TD-3 probably. 3 pouches is enough for 24 oz of developer which can be used twice, so depending on how you develop, you might have enough to run all 24 sheets in it, possibly.
    I have 3 pouches. They are unopened. They were in a freezer before I got them and I just put them in my own freezer. That was about 7 years ago if I remember right. My preference would be to try out a sheet or two at a time so I can make adjustments. Hopefully, the mix I get from a single pouch will last a couple of days so I can run some tests.
    Yeah. I'm familiar with Photoshop. It's the place I buy my film.

Drew Wiley

In their contemporaneous film guide, Kodak only mentions Technidol and HC-110. The dedicated Tech Sheet Oren linked is more specific. but I personally preferred what P. Formulary offered, that is, for con-tone work. I still have quite a stash of 8x10 Tech Pan, but use it for higher contrast lab applications. Unlike Ortho Litho, the pan characteristics of TechPan make it suitable for highlight masking selective of any color with suitable filtration.