Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Central Camera, Chicago

Re: Central Camera Chicago & Ilford NEWS

What was the name of that darkroom store north of downtown?

There was another camera store further south from Central that was at the top of a narrow long set of stairs. Can't remember what it was called, but they had a bunch of large format stuff. I bought my Speed Graphic there.

I used to go to Central all the time back in the mid 90s. I knew exactly where to park in the Grant Park Garage so I was right by the exit for the Art Institute. Then I'd hit up Central Camera and MoCP down at Columbia College. Utrecht was right there too, and Tower Records. Not in that order. I got to know a guy that worked at Central and sometimes I'd get there right when they were closing. He'd always make me go down the street to a dive bar for happy hour ($1 brewskies). I'd stumble out of there and walk around the loop at night taking terrible pictures. Well they look terrible now. Back then they were ok. Lol.

Don't know as I was late to this game and only started going to Central about 2001.

Unless you mean Helix with the parking lot. It had a lot of gear on 3 stories i think.

Central Camera gives free parking chits at the first parking garage one block north and 100 ft west.

I also always park at the lowest level SE in the garage close to the new entrance. Ride the elevator.

I watched Millennium Park being built while going to the School. They scraped off Michigan Ave and then covered it all up.

Quote Originally Posted by PRJ View Post
    What was the name of that darkroom store north of downtown?

There was another camera store further south from Central that was at the top of a narrow long set of stairs. Can't remember what it was called, but they had a bunch of large format stuff. I bought my Speed Graphic there.

I used to go to Central all the time back in the mid 90s. I knew exactly where to park in the Grant Park Garage so I was right by the exit for the Art Institute. Then I'd hit up Central Camera and MoCP down at Columbia College. Utrecht was right there too, and Tower Records. Not in that order. I got to know a guy that worked at Central and sometimes I'd get there right when they were closing. He'd always make me go down the street to a dive bar for happy hour ($1 brewskies). I'd stumble out of there and walk around the loop at night taking terrible pictures. Well they look terrible now. Back then they were ok. Lol.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by PRJ View Post
    What was the name of that darkroom store north of downtown?.
    Darkroom Aids. Al Schwartz was a chemist and a terrific guy, very helpful and up-beat.

I did go to this Darkroom Aids in the 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Darkroom Aids.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I did go to this Darkroom Aids in the 80's.
    That was long after my time with them. The shop was smaller, and still full of strange good things. I still have the unusual Valoy built for extra large prints, thanks to Al Schwartz. $110 in 1974. Al was a saint.

I have a Leitz Valoy with the 32" column.

And Leitz Valoy ii with the copy camera attachment. I use that feature most.

But I screwed up for not figuring out what a Reprovit II is good for. Had 2, but let them go back to the pile. They sure looked good.

I have a goofy little enlarger that was on the cover of Leica magazine. Film A Rus

Never had a Leica and most likely will not.

I like my Pentax MX.

That was long after my time with them. The shop was smaller, and still full of strange good things. I still have the unusual Valoy built for extra large prints, thanks to Al Schwartz. $110 in 1974. Al was a saint.
    Tin Can

The Leitz head ventilating attachment allows one to use up to 250w bulbs rather than the 75w bulbs. It makes a great difference for the extended Valoy enlarger.

From glennview.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	big_1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	191407

A good source for more is here. (Sorry it looks like Glenn's web author has blocked some links.)

Glenn may make the website. He is very DIY with everything.

I was on his site today before I posted to study the Reprovit II.

He has great website with a lot of very good info.

We have chatted for hours in person.

The Leitz head ventilating attachment allows one to use up to 250w bulbs rather than the 75w bulbs. It makes a great difference for the extended Valoy enlarger.

From glennview.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	big_1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	191407

A good source for more is here. (Sorry it looks like Glenn's web author has blocked some links.)
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Glenn may make the website. He is very DIY with everything. [...] We have chatted for hours in person.
    You are a lucky person to have met and talked with Glenn.

We also write each other.

Like this morning.

We have a lot in common. He has a far better shop right where I first moved to in 1972.

You are a lucky person to have met and talked with Glenn.
    Tin Can