Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about early Linhof cameras

Let's talk about early Linhof cameras

Today I received a new Linhof, a 13x18 or 5x7 camera. Serial number is before extant manufacturer records due to their loss in the war.

Randy Moe and I were having some interesting conversations about this era of Linhof cameras, and I wanted to share some photos of my new camera and see some other Linhofs from this time period.

I'm also interested in what distinguishes the different models of the time - the "Technika," the "Technika II," the "Classic," etc. I believe my camera is a "Classic" as it has limited movements (none on the rear).

Also, I believe the back has been manufactured. The rotating back has a small "extension" and the material seems slightly different than the rest of the body. It's nicely made though, and the ground glass is of much higher quality than I would expect from a 70-year-old camera. Also, interestingly the front focus rail and clamshell can be dropped completely vertical for extreme wide angles. The hand-made focus reference chart mentions lenses 90mm through 210mm, so the previous owner must've been a wide-angle junky just like me! I can't try yet, but I'll have to see if it can focus a 72mm XL. One last note - the camera weighs 8lbs and 2.5 ounces, or 3.7kg. Heavier than I was hoping it would be - supposedly some older 13x18 Linhofs weigh only 4.5lbs, from what I researched.

It came with one #1 lens board and so I put a very old Dagor-type 21cm Symmar lens on the camera to try out. I will note here the lens board is about an inch longer in both directions than the older Linhof III 4x5 boards I have. I'll need to make a custom adapter to "standard" Linhof boards.

It's raining now but perhaps tonight or tomorrow I will have time to give it a whirl. Here's some photos though:

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Re: Let's talk about early Linhof cameras

Update: it is a custom back. I was turning the revolving back and found writing underneath the corners. It says "custom back fitted '94." Apparently this camera was owned/used 25 years ago. Not sure of the "rest of the story" but that's pretty interesting.

I think it's a custom mod.

Mine is newer perhaps as it has the pin back extension and a more factory like DDS back. I think you have seen my posted pics.

If not at your request i make new images .

But the bed and the rail locks are similar. The custom distance bed markings are definitely not German. Perhaps called a Standard.

Mine has the same delicate leather handle, which I do not trust.

I shoot modern glass. I shot my first LF negative with mine. Probably my best image...

What are your serial numbers?
    Tin Can

Bryan, just bought THE BOOK, found a new one in SF.

Should have it in a week.

A used poor condition from Australia was 1/2 the price and 45 days out.
    Tin Can

Oops, yes I meant a "Standard" not a "Classic." I think that's what I have, because as you note there are no rear movements with the "pins" like on a modern Technika. In fact, I guess that makes yours a Technika and mine not. The distance markings are hand-made and has the name of a previous owner on it. In fact he wrote his name no less than 4 times on the body. Probably destroys the resale value but whatever.

I suppose the typical usage for the more minimalist design is press / reportage. However mine is heavier than yours I think. There's enough movement here for landscapes though. I just shot 4 sheets of 5x7!

Nice find on the Linhof Story book. Looking forward to what you find in it. My serial # is 21858.

Neat camera! 5x7 is a really nice format. Alas, I don't have any non-studio versions. Maybe, I'll make a 5x7 back for my Intrepid 8x10 when it arrives.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

My serial # is 13760

My bed can also drop all the way.

IMG-2305 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

IMG-2306 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

IMG-2307 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

IMG-2308 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Oops, yes I meant a "Standard" not a "Classic." I think that's what I have, because as you note there are no rear movements with the "pins" like on a modern Technika. In fact, I guess that makes yours a Technika and mine not. The distance markings are hand-made and has the name of a previous owner on it. In fact he wrote his name no less than 4 times on the body. Probably destroys the resale value but whatever.

I suppose the typical usage for the more minimalist design is press / reportage. However mine is heavier than yours I think. There's enough movement here for landscapes though. I just shot 4 sheets of 5x7!

Nice find on the Linhof Story book. Looking forward to what you find in it. My serial # is 21858.
    The Linhof Story Book, both versions, has models and dates and features but no serial numbers. But it is a useful reference. 2nd version more so then the first version.

DRGM means, http://bassic-sax.info/blog/2013/ear...-designations/

DRP in pre WARII meant patent also.

In 1950 it meant something else.

These cameras are pre 1940
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Neat camera! 5x7 is a really nice format. Alas, I don't have any non-studio versions. Maybe, I'll make a 5x7 back for my Intrepid 8x10 when it arrives.
    I'm warming up to it! It's interesting with the longer rectangle that fits with some compositions really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    DRGM means, http://bassic-sax.info/blog/2013/ear...-designations/

DRP in pre WARII meant patent also.

In 1950 it meant something else.

These cameras are pre 1940
    Thanks for the reminder on the patent markers. Mine, curiously, has none. Perhaps they were engraved on the back that has been replaced? Considering your serial #, I assume yours is older than mine. The previous owner, in the "hidden" notes, claims the camera is from the 1940's. I now notice 4 little marks on the top that look like where a viewfinder would attach - perhaps screws underneath eating away at the covering (a la Zeiss bumps)? Perhaps this camera is in such stellar condition because it was recovered when the back was replaced, and the patent marks are under the leather covering - however the "pattern" of the covering is the same as your photos so that's a long-shot.