Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tripod for someone with arthritis

Tripod for someone with arthritis

An acquaintance asked me for a tripod recommendation. She would like a fairly light tripod that easy for someone with arthritis to use. She said twist locks are out, and so there goes my Gitzo, FLM, RRS recommendation. Any suggestions?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Re: Tripod for someone with arthritis

Some of the twist-locks on the new carbon fiber tripods take very little force to release and lock. The one I have (Pro Gold) can be done with two fingers and light force.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Linhof Light Weight Pro. Very light, very stable, very simple and easy to use flip locks!

Thank you, Gentlemen. I'll pass that along.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Take a look at Sirui tripods. I just bought a carbon-fiber model with leg flip-locks, 31-lb max load, folds to 19" and extends to 65" with the center column. Weighs less than 4 lbs and has worked great for hiking with a 4x5 field camera - more than rigid enough for the purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Some of the twist-locks on the new carbon fiber tripods take very little force to release and lock.
    It might sound counterintuitive, but playing off of Vaughn's point, I wonder if a 4 or 5-series CF Gitzo or Induro might not be the best option--large diameter twist-locks would give her more leverage to apply torque (assuming she has arthritic hands/fingers) and thick legs might give her something to brace against and let gravity do the work whilst adjusting leg length. She would pay a weight penalty of course, but if it lets her use big muscles and leverage her body mass, it might be a worthwhile tradeoff. (FWIW, I encountered a similar challenge while I was rehabbing two broken wrists a few years back...fine motor skills are extremely taxing when your grip-strength is compromised.)

Peter De Smidt loaned me his Gitzo Series 5 which I wanted to try.

I found the big knobs not big enough and I had extreme difficulty unloosening any of the knobs that Peter had tightened in his normal manner.

I would need pliers to use a Gitzo Series 5 as tight as I would need for heavy cameras.

I have severe RA and my hands do not close or open normally. Both forefingers cannot close to the diameter of the Gitso knobs.

My hands are damaged from decades of power tool usage and motorbikes.

I still ride but with large diameter soft grips using the 3 smaller fingers.

My Majestic tripod is best for me as the 2 lobe knobs are easier to lever and I seldom adjust the leg length, relying more on the very sturdy gear elevating column. The leg spreaders don't need to be crazy tight.

I keep large Channel Locks in the kitchen for jars and a smaller Knipex in my back pocket when using any tripod.
    Tin Can

That was with a 30 year old Gitzo, though. The newest ones have much easier to turn collars. I don't have one, but a friend I assist for occasionally does.

Also I replaced the 1/4 inch bolt at the top with a garden tap knob on one majestic tripod head. and I replaced the top knob on a Arca type head with a Tiltall knob and arm (to extend beyond a 8x10 bed but it is a great replacement for anyone who has index finger and thumb troubles.

Manfrotto has a model with push-button latches on the legs. Extends to 61", weight at 6.5 lbs (less head). I have no personal experience with this model, but it might be worth a look.

https://www.manfrotto.us/neotec-pro-photo-tripod