Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Most Lightweight/Compact Setup for 8x10 Large Format Photography?

Drew Wiley

Re: The Most Lightweight/Compact Setup for 8x10 Large Format Photography?

Well, welcome to the wonderful world of 8x10. It can be quite a rewarding journey. But there are all kinds of ways you could cut redundant weight from that kit without sacrificing functionality. Yet at the same time, you need to address stability. As usual, I take one look at that ballhead and scratch my head. A good tripod that allegedly supports forty pounds is nearly worthless with a little twiggy stem like that between the tripod head and an 8x10 camera bed. I have a similar CF tripod and bolt the camera directly to the top
    platform. Try that, though it will require a minor modification adding a turn knob below the tripod top. Then there's all that redundant padding weight around holders and within the pack itself that could be replaced by simple bubble wrap or elementary fomecore board dividers. But your lens choices are excellent, though that 120 is an odd duck for 8x10 use (I've had one of those too). Have fun!

Marco Fantin

Quote Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
    I've started using the Ritter 8x10 in the past couple of months; it has been a revelation! Immediately saves something like 10 pounds from comparable setups...

Very easy to carry and to handle in the field, simply a superb use of materials!

Much tougher dealing with the film holders. That said, I tend to make "mini-excursions" from the car with camera in a Gator shoulder bag (designed for an audio mixer - very light and manageable - also holds dark cloth), tripod (in a bag with shoulder strap), lens kit (medium sized camera bag) with lens, meter, loupe, and other "Ancillary Adams" (as I like to say practically any chance I get...), and a film holder or two at a time.

So this is a decently manageable load from parking to photo site. Set up and tear down are fast. After shooting, it's back to the car to drop off and replenish.

Not a good setup, however, for hiking per se. Working on a setup with a older large Tenba backpack for that...

It's that for hikes, or go with the Tachihara 4x5, which fits easily with everything but tripod into a single shoulder bag.

So still a work in progress, but it's getting there...

Not bad for a guy with four fused lumbar vertebrae!
    Oh yes I forgot about the Ritter camera, that's also a very light one!
    My Youtube Channel - Darkroom and large format tutorials

Marco Fantin

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Well, welcome to the wonderful world of 8x10. It can be quite a rewarding journey. But there are all kinds of ways you could cut redundant weight from that kit without sacrificing functionality. Yet at the same time, you need to address stability. As usual, I take one look at that ballhead and scratch my head. A good tripod that allegedly supports forty pounds is nearly worthless with a little twiggy stem like that between the tripod head and an 8x10 camera bed. I have a similar CF tripod and bolt the camera directly to the top
    platform. Try that, though it will require a minor modification adding a turn knob below the tripod top. Then there's all that redundant padding weight around holders and within the pack itself that could be replaced by simple bubble wrap or elementary fomecore board dividers. But your lens choices are excellent, though that 120 is an odd duck for 8x10 use (I've had one of those too). Have fun!
    The Arca swiss ball head is also rated for 40 lbs, and in fact I had no problems with vibrations. But I think it's pretty limited when it comes to framing the shot. The camera just flies around when the little ball head is loosened. Something like the arca swiss D4m would be much better. I also agree totally about the 120 mm lens. It looks wildly wide (which may be good), and it is barely usable. Also, mine seems to have problem in one corner: the top right corner is typically low in contrast. Go figure.

In any case a lot of fun.

Marco Fantin

Quote Originally Posted by karl french View Post
    8x10 Deardorff in a Tamrac X-Pack (21cm Schneider Angulon fits in outer pocket.)
    Cooke Convertible Series XVa 311mm f6.8 in a small padded bag attached to film holder case that holds 6 8x10 holders (Toyo)
    Gitzo G1325 tripod with 1570m head.

Full featured camera. 4 focal lengths and 12 shots.
    Ooh convertible lenses. That sounds like the best use of weight/space. The Cooke looks a bit long for the intrepid though: the bellows is already struggling to deal with the 450 mm Fujinon.

Drew Wiley

You've already got some of the very best lens options. The total weight of the three Fuji's is remarkably little; and they are optically stellar. If you go with a convertible lens, you have to fiddle with the elements in the field, likely will have a heavy no.3 shutter, and probably won't save any weight overall. Then you have to find a way to transport all the separate elements undamaged, which traditionally involves a heavy box. Plus if something goes wrong with that particular shutter, there go all your eggs in one basket. I happen to shoot one of the very first Phillips 8x10s. I made a few minor modifications to it, and it still functions like new after all these years. Nearly all these new ultralight field cameras are inspired by the slightly later Phillips 2 design. The Chamonix 8x10 looks like a competent successor, as well as the Ritter.