Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Washing issues and a bunch of questions

Re: Washing issues and a bunch of questions

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    For stop bath, what about plain water plus teaspoon of white vinegar?

Kent in SD
    I could have avoided it altogether with a good rinse (so they say) but it was on sale, it was very cheap and I needed to reach a minimum amount on my order to get it shipped for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Whoa, Dude! Way too simple and economical!
    Plain water is even more economical. I think I used my last stop bath on film about 1950. No problems.

I'm gonna hop on this conversation with the next question:

Do you guys pre-wash the negatives after they have been loaded into the tank?

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    ...I hang them in the bathroom (the most dust-free room in the house) -- so I actually soak up that drop of water with a small piece of toilet paper.
    I used to hang them in the shower too, almost no dust there. However, if you use the toilet and pull the roll of toilet paper to use a portion of it, you will notice (with the proper light angle) that thousands of dust like particles coming from the toilet paper will float in the air, and they may get to your film. Just make sure you close the shower curtain, do not use toilet paper, do not use the towel (mother source of mircoparticles floating in the air), etc. I now hang them in the garage, the only place in the house without air conditioning (which is another source of dust). Dust is everywhere, and the higher the resolution you scan the film, the more of it you will see.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I've been hanging 35mm and 120 film to dry in the bathroom attached to the heating coils of the ceiling heater for the past 14 years now and never had a single particle of dust settle on any of the frames. I allow the film to dry for 4 hours before checking that it is completely dry before cutting into 6 frame strips to fit to store in negative preserver sheets. If I have to use the bathroom, I just make sure that I don't bump into the film or that the strips touch. For 4x5 and 8x10 I hang to dry in an Arkay CD-10 film dryer.

Thomas

Watch wash water temperature. Remember the emulsion is gelatin. Any water over 80°F should be avoided, better to hold around 70°F. Warm water will swell and make emulsion soft.
    I suspect the green might be anti-halation dye. You might pre-rinse. ??? Looks like you did ok.