Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Desk installation has begun

Re: Desk installation has begun

I thought about a black velvet to line the drawers, but the surface is so smooth and cool looking I don’t think I will. Now that you mentioned it, maybe a base sheet of a buffered paper for each drawer cut to the size of drawer. Hopefully I can post up pics of the completed desk this week.

I have been designing a desk with print drawers for the built in space in my 1 br apartment. I would love to see a sketch or diagram of your overall setup for inspiration!

Quote Originally Posted by cp_photo View Post
    I have been designing a desk with print drawers for the built in space in my 1 br apartment. I would love to see a sketch or diagram of your overall setup for inspiration!
    Sure. Give me a day or two to sketch up something. I just gave the cabinet guy the dimensions, he did the rest.

Still working a sketch or pictures.

Granite fabricator is nuts. I paid around 5.00 sqft for granite and he wants to charge 26 a sqft to bevel 4 edges and cut 4 2.5 inch holes in it. What BS. Even my contractor was like wth! So we may go with another guy. 250 for slab already finished surface and 1300 plus to put 4 bevels and square it up? Wow. Glad I didn't pay going rate for slab!

When we remodeled the bath and kitchen we put in well over 100 sq ft of granite (the extra thick stuff) and the fabricators all seem to charge a lot more for edging, cutting, etc than for the granite itself. The way it was explained to me was that a lot of the price is for the wear on the expensive diamond saw blades and it's a really slow and tedious process (unpleasant as well) so the labor component is pretty high. They cut the slabs down in the shop but to do the cutouts for the stoves etc they had to put up a plastic barrier to completely isolate the cutting area from the rest of the house. The typical way it seems to work is that the fabricator gets to keep whatever part of the big (6 x 10 feet???) slabs aren't actually used and they sell them pretty cheaply for smaller jobs, but the labor and cutting will still be many times the price of the small slab itself) I think we went through 4 - 5 of the big slabs by the time we were done.

I can see needing to recover cost of cutters and things and I can see charging a little exfra but 5.5 ti.es the cost of the granite? Especially when it takes them only a couple hours to install and cut 4 2.5 inch holes.

4 sheets? Ouch. I will need about a sheet and a half for rest of my house projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    Still working a sketch or pictures.

Granite fabricator is nuts. I paid around 5.00 sqft for granite and he wants to charge 26 a sqft to bevel 4 edges and cut 4 2.5 inch holes in it. What BS. Even my contractor was like wth! So we may go with another guy. 250 for slab already finished surface and 1300 plus to put 4 bevels and square it up? Wow. Glad I didn't pay going rate for slab!
    I find it puzzling they charge per square foot for beveling an edge instead of per linear foot, because most of the time, it's only the perimeter of the counter that's beveled (and sometimes not even that, because who bevels the edge of a countertop that backs up to a wall?)

In other words, they're charging $26 to bevel four linear feet of a one-foot square piece of granite, whereas they're charging $104 to bevel one four-foot linear edge of a four square foot piece, which surely doesn't require four times the work or time or wear-and-tear of their tools? <scratches head>

The people we used all seemed to charge mostly by the linear cut/trim/bevel operations. The other "dynamic" is that when you get small sheets (ie a few sq feet) they're probably off-cuts from a job that used the big slabs paid for by the customer, so the fabricators get the off-cuts free and can charge really low prices for them - this would make the cutting charges look a lot higher as a percentage of the total than if you started with the $1500 - $2000 large slabs.

Imagine you want to get some granite work done and you pay 1000 dollars for the granite and the fabricator tells it is an additional thousand to make a cut or two you might reconsider using granite.

Anyway, got the guy done 300 dollars and it will be installed this Friday. Finally, 3 months for a project that should have taken 2 weeks. Ugh, can't wait to see how long to build my darkroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Audii-Dudii View Post
    I find it puzzling they charge per square foot for beveling an edge instead of per linear foot, because most of the time, it's only the perimeter of the counter that's beveled (and sometimes not even that, because who bevels the edge of a countertop that backs up to a wall?)

In other words, they're charging $26 to bevel four linear feet of a one-foot square piece of granite, whereas they're charging $104 to bevel one four-foot linear edge of a four square foot piece, which surely doesn't require four times the work or time or wear-and-tear of their tools? <scratches head>
    They probably had to square the slab up or pattern it against any abutted walls (potentially 4 cuts), then bevel and hone the edges.