Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tips on loading 4x5 film into the holders - Help needed

Re: Tips on loading 4x5 film into the holders - Help needed

You are going to waste film regardless.

Don't worry about that, but keep all wasted or ruined film for future uses.

Get one sheet out and load that ONE only. Shoot anything with it.

Process it the whole way to dry.

Then study it for mistakes.

Save it for more loading practice.

I keep most film failures and I fail all the time.

I use ruined 'real' film as a pattern to cut 'fake' film, aka X-Ray film which is just like old film was.

Look up X-Ray film here, it's cheap and useful.

I started LF when I signed on here 2011, now 68, I am already going down the other side of the curve. Forgetting...

It's a fun hobby, have fun first.
    Tin Can

The Xray and cheap litho film is a good idea, you can work with safelights. Ortho film is fun, like Randy says it's about having fun. Last fall I was out with some 4x5 Ektachrome, pulled the dark slide took the shot, the dark slide felt a little weird going back in. After, I'm putting the camera away and find a sheet of film in the camera bellows. Whoops! That's what makes it fun.
    Dropping wet film on the floor etc etc etc

It's a process that's a lot easier to do than describe! When I was learning, I sacrificed a sheet of film to practice in the light with eyes open. Then with eyes closed. For some time afterward, I'd warm-up this way right before any loading session. Builds confidence. Gets you in the rhythm.

Another part of my warm-up process is to visualize how I will open the three-part film box, where I will put each part, where the film stack will be, how I will pull individual sheets for loading, and how I'll close the film box when loading is done. After the pre-visualizing, I can almost see what I'm doing with the mind's eye.

My last step is getting the unloaded film back into the film box. Some people do this before loading. I do this after loading, my final step. Yes, I've flicked-on the light before this step. Let's just say my neighbors heard mournful screams of loss.

Be careful with instructions about where the film code notches should be. How you orient the holder in your hands will determine the placement of the notches, such as "upper right" or "lower left."

As others have noted, it's all fun, whether you're a beginner or veteran, perfect or mistake-prone!

Quote Originally Posted by David Schaller View Post
    In the video I just watched the guy had his fingers all over the film. Not good. Hold it on the side edges!
    Thanks David ! So you have to hold onto the film via the side edges !!!

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roscoetuff-Skip Mersereau View Post
    Duolab123: Just for the record, I am old, too. If 62 is old, then come June I'm joining you right there. And yet here I am a beginner. All my life, I've always been a beginner - even at things I know very well. It's what keeps me moving.
    Thanks for your input. I admire your night vision head gear.
    Sixty two in this forum is like a teenager, so behave kid. One mistake I made when beginning to load my 4x5 holders was to insert the film in the same place the dark slide goes. When closing the holder by pushing the dark slide, it was hard, but I did not know better. So, I got a large portion of my first negatives with a light leak along the edge, plus the negative was scratched. I always use the two metal tips under which the film has to go as guides.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Just a note regarding the way film is packaged by the manufacturers; yes, the majority of them use three part boxes, but Arista EDU Ultra (re-branded Foma sold by Freestyle) comes in your standard two parter with the film in a black plastic bag. Given its price, a lot of people, myself included, started with the Arista to get all of the mistake making out of the way in a less costly way.

Although, ruining one $8 sheet of film after another would drive the lessons home in a hurry, I would think!