Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: continuing pyrocat problem

Re: continuing pyrocat problem

yes.. its the Glycol variant. First i was ordering from ebay from Lithuania.. and later from wetplatesupplies from uk.

I haven't the slightest idea about those suppliers. I buy my Pyrocat from Photographers' Formulary - http://stores.photoformulary.com/. A friend has bought some from Bostick & Sullivan.

Recently, some issues cropped up from suppliers due to a bad batch of raw chemicals - but that should be taken care of now I would assume.

My first experience with Pyrocat was the same as yours, but I did not buy the Glycol variant. No problems now with it. So perhaps your suppliers neglected to put in the Glycol?
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Thanks Ken for the informative post I never thought of D farty one as a developer... I have switched to a more vegetarian diet ( not total ) and I am finding the more legumes I am eating I produce more gas, I will bottle this and use the next time I want to process black and white film. Thanks to Sandy King for inventing this process, I always thought he was a bit of a blow hard and now this confirms it.
    Bob you made me laugh out loud several times !

Quote Originally Posted by Jbuck View Post
    can i also spray gas inside of a bottle of PyrocatHD liquid? to remove the air? -- like i do with DDX / D76
    Yes, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I will bottle this and use the next time I want to process black and white film.
    Please check if it delivers more or less general stain, it would be great to know it. I hate legumes, but if general stain is thin...

Maybe I am just lucky. I mix Pyrocat HD from bulk chemistry with distilled water 3.5 liters at a time and I get a solid 18 months plus out of a each bottle of the A and B components even when only 1/4th to 1/3 of the bottle is left for many months. I am always very careful that no cross contamination can take place. Chemistry is stored in dark amber bottles in a basement darkroom that is consistently cool and mostly dark in a cabinet. As a result it is hard for me to justify the additional expense and effort to include glycol.

I have been using Pyrocat since Sandy first released the formula. I mix in glycol and only had a problem one time. That was a batch from PF a friend gave me. Mine lasts for extremely long times. I mix a Liter of both A and B and never give thought to it becoming weak or otherwise dying. The solutions are kept in separate bottles. The "A" in the original glycol container and the "B" in amber glass. I believe that those having problems are cross contaminating in some manner,or not mixing their own.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I as well have been using Pyrocat HD for a long time for my LF and ULF negatives. I had one problem and it was from cross contamination. I have always mixed mine from the raw chemicals and my liter bottles last 18 months as well. Generally I use it up well before 18 months though. Bob, nice one! Busted me up too!

Glycol version from Photographers Formulary, get 2 years no problem. More recently I decant it into smaller glass bottles. I’m sure this helps with shelf life but the real reason is that I find it much easier to pour into my 10ml graduated cylinder. I am super careful not to cross contaminate the solutions. Bottles and cap are labeled A & B.

Not sure about your suppliers, is it possible to buy the chemicals and mix from scratch?

Roger

I was introduced to PyrocatHD in 2009 by Eugene Singer; some old-timers may recall his posts on this forum. My source has been Photographers Formulary, Glycol version, for ten years without any problems.