Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: continuing pyrocat problem

Re: continuing pyrocat problem

as with when I used PMK, I use pipettes for measuring out HD Glycol. I have dedicated draw tubes for A and B so the chance of cross contamination is pretty well zilch, unless I have a major brain fart.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Hopefully I don't cause myself a jinx. I buy everything from 3rd party suppliers no one's ever heard of on Ebay and mix my own batches using an O-Haus triple beam scale. I don't use Glycol or distilled water. The only problem I've ever had was when I ran out of part B and promptly mixed up more Part A and then developed film from my neice's wedding with Part A and Part A. Yeah, that didn't go so well and I haven't taken the LF to a wedding since. The stuff has proved fool proof since Sandy published the original formula all those years ago. I'm the fool that has proved it. I store Part A in a green plastic soda pop bottle and Part B in a clear plastic Ice Tea bottle. Let's see, is there anything else I could possibly do wrong?? When I mix up my one shot I use one of those little graduated cups that come with cough syrup. 17.5ml is half way between the 15 and the 20, more or less. I don't think it's ever sat around for more than about 9 months.

People ask me why I won't photograph weddings...
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

If someone wants me to photograph their wedding I tell them I’d be more than happy to, but that you’re sure not going to like the results. So far I’ve never had to photograph a wedding.

Roget

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Thanks Ken for the informative post I never thought of D farty one as a developer... I have switched to a more vegetarian diet ( not total ) and I am finding the more legumes I am eating I produce more gas, I will bottle this and use the next time I want to process black and white film. Thanks to Sandy King for inventing this process, I always thought he was a bit of a blow hard and now this confirms it.
    Good reason for fume hood / ventilation in a darkroom.

Use the glycol version and use a dedicated, separate pipette or syringe for prts A and B to prevent cross contamination; this should ensure longevity. I home mix and it lasts at least a year this way, but I generally mix small batches of 50ml at once so it's always reasonably fresh. No problems as of yet.

Thank you

I will now use your words!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post
    If someone wants me to photograph their wedding I tell them I’d be more than happy to, but that you’re sure not going to like the results. So far I’ve never had to photograph a wedding.

Roget
    Tin Can

I computed the amount of carbonate needed in the working developer for each of my tank sizes. I add the correct amount of dry carbonate to the mix water, stir throughly, then pour in part A. There’s no possibility of contamination and no problems.

Ill guess i start mixing myself.. until then ill use DDX.. just ran a batch side by side my Pyro and DDX.. and its deferentially Pyro that went bad again..

A couple of things I have figured out about Pyrocat.
    It does not have extremely long shelf life if there is any air in the bottle. 1 year and maybe a couple of months. The Phenidone is the weak component so Pyrocat with Metol instead may last a little longer.
    Shake the hell out of part A to remix it before use, bring it up to 75 degrees if has been cold stored.
    If you tend to put part A in small bottles, recombine them in larger bottle every 3 months to remix.
    It costs a little more to mix yourself in small batches and may depend on how often you process , but owning the chemicals gives you the flexibility to try other formulas, including toners or second pass print developers.
    Label makers have chemical resistant labels and ink. label syringes, bottles, caps, mixing vessels, and everything that touches Pyrocat. Reduces cross contamination chances.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography