Now that I've been shooting dry plate for a year, and processing my own b&w for three months, I'm wanting to move into wet plate. I had hoped to do that last year but was interrupted by winter. I didn't think wet plate would work very well at 20 below zero. I hope to start within the next three months but as usual I research things quite a bit before jumping in. I'll start with what I have now:

4x5 and 5x7 camera, about a dozen & half lenses 1845-1930, three 8x10 trays, red safe light.

My thinking so far:

1. Use the 4x5 Chamonix with a Chamonix plate holder. I'm hoping it doesn't leak a lot and destroy my camera. If I carefully wipe it off after each use could I get away with it?

2. Build a portable dark box that will fit in the back of my Subaru Forester. I will work in it while standing next to the tail gate. Box will have a plastic base about 3.5 feet x 2 feet, will probably use one of those plastic storage boxes that slide under a bed. That would catch any leaks. Frame of the dark box would be PVC pipe, maybe 1 inch diameter. Cheap & easy to work with. Covering will be a black out curtain cut and sewn to fit around the frame. Light will be my red safelight plugged into the car's 12v plug. Might add a long black hose with a small computer fan to help keep it cooler inside and the air breathable.

3. I plan on using one of the processing kits from Bostick & Sullivan for chemicals. Will avoid the ferro cyanide stuff as I'm uneasy about using it in a confined space. Will be wearing latex gloves, eye protection.

4. Will buy a good portable silver bath for 4x5 such as a Lund.

5. Not sure what media I want to start with. I'm thinking the pre-cleaned aluminum plates might be the way to start. I do prefer glass in the long run but looks like they take more prep.

6. Initially will scan the images. Long term I want to make contact prints, and for that I will move to either my Gundlach Korona 5x7 or probably 8x10. (Kodak 2D etc.)

7. Most if not all photography will be done on location. Don't have a studio. Not sure how I'll handle the swings in temperature: 90 degrees in summer, 30 degrees in early fall.

8. I hope to use period lenses for the most part--I have some very nice ones from 1840s-1860s. Will add a couple of rapid rectilinears vintage 1860s-1880s.

So any advice? Have been watching Youtube videos. I do have a guy about an hour away who does wet plate but not sure how helpful he'll be. Has not answered my emails. There's also a guy in Bismarck ND, a day's drive from me, doing a lot of this. Other than that I might be on my own. I think I can figure it out though. First I need to start processing my own dry plates and intend to start that this month.

Lund has a clear dip tank that I could process in. Wouldn't that be the way to go--I can easily watch the image form on both wet & dry plates and stop it when it looks good?

Would appreciate any thoughts here. I'm mostly after the challenge, and am interested in the historical aspect.

Kent in SD