Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: fit release cable in recessed board

Re: fit release cable in recessed board

YES, and ‘glad to hear others concur...

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    Is this the one you’re referring to?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...tension_f.html
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

do you know where I can find the extension cable in UK/EU?

I don't know.CHeck the web, particularly in Europe.

Huub

would this work with a standard release cable?

https://www.linhofstudio.com/product...Extension_50mm

I have several different cable release "extensions" and none of them fit on my Linhof boards if I'm trying to not use their QR socket. Which sucks. IMO, look on eBay for some 3rd-party "generic" recessed lensboards. I have more luck getting things working properly with a Gaoersi brand recessed board which has an integrated, threaded plastic part that you screw the cable release on directly.

All of my Linhof QR sockets are faulty. Most simply don't hold the cable release properly (mind you, these are Linhof-brand cable released that cost as much as a dozen "normal" releases) or if they do, the slightest tug usually makes them pop out. I've had it with the cable release popping out of the socket right as I go to make an image when the light breaks out of the clouds, ruining my moment (sometimes the light comes and is gone in seconds here in the Appalachians).

I'm sure the usual suspect will say it's my fault and I should go buy the "new" Linhof whatever, but sorry, a simple recessed board and cable setup shouldn't cost as much as my 4x5 camera! I'm not a Linhof apologist - this QR system just SUCKS!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I have several different cable release "extensions" and none of them fit on my Linhof boards if I'm trying to not use their QR socket. Which sucks. IMO, look on eBay for some 3rd-party "generic" recessed lensboards. I have more luck getting things working properly with a Gaoersi brand recessed board which has an integrated, threaded plastic part that you screw the cable release on directly.

All of my Linhof QR sockets are faulty. Most simply don't hold the cable release properly (mind you, these are Linhof-brand cable released that cost as much as a dozen "normal" releases) or if they do, the slightest tug usually makes them pop out. I've had it with the cable release popping out of the socket right as I go to make an image when the light breaks out of the clouds, ruining my moment (sometimes the light comes and is gone in seconds here in the Appalachians).

I'm sure the usual suspect will say it's my fault and I should go buy the "new" Linhof whatever, but sorry, a simple recessed board and cable setup shouldn't cost as much as my 4x5 camera! I'm not a Linhof apologist - this QR system just SUCKS!
    You do have the cable release nipple for the Linhof cable releases don’t you? They came with the older QR socket boards and are the part that actually locks the cable release into the socket. Or do you have the Linhof cable release without threads for use with the socket?

I have several different cable release "extensions" and none of them fit on my Linhof boards if I'm trying to not use their QR socket. Which sucks. IMO, look on eBay for some 3rd-party "generic" recessed lensboards. I have more luck getting things working properly with a Gaoersi brand recessed board which has an integrated, threaded plastic part that you screw the cable release on directly
    I had not heard of Gaoersi before. Thanks for that! Regarding the Linhof release, I did have the adapter which facilitated just pushing into the QR socket. Not a lot of help. Then I tried a standard release with a very narrow wrapping of Gaffer tape over the bulbous end; all was well again.

Bob, I have both kinds (QR sockets with beige color as well as the newer red buttons) and I had 3 nipples, and 3 different Linhof releases. None of them worked properly in any configuration. Or more specifically, some of them worked sometimes but would fall off or pop out several times over the course of a shoot. I simply think the entire design was/is faulty.

Thanks Jac. I will try some Gaffer tape and see if it helps. I understand the idea of a QR socket, if one is switching lenses while shooting handheld with their Linhof 4x5, but in the field on a tripod that isn't necessary, and the Gaoersi brand one I have that uses a normal threaded cable release attachment that works perfectly.

PS: also, every one of my Linhof recessed boards had the little bent pin fall off in the field at some point. So they have all been replaced with a thick paper clip snipped to the correct length and bent into shape by me. This works fine, but is yet another issue with the whole system.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

PS: also, every one of my Linhof recessed boards had the little bent pin fall off in the field at some point. So they have all been replaced with a thick paper clip snipped to the correct length and bent into shape by me.
    Gaffer tape and paper clips are always in my truck and on the workbench. I should do an inventory of the indispensable 'little bits' that live in a small parts bin with my nitro tabs.