Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best value 90mm W/A lens value?

Best value 90mm W/A lens value?

In a moment of madness I have bought a 5X4 Sinar Norma and intend to buy a 90mm f4.5 wide angle lens but am unsure if to go for a Nikon, Grandagon or super angulon.

Your thoughts please?

Obviously the price is a large factor in the selection.

Cheers Dave

Re: Best value 90mm W/A lens value?

http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/test/AngSSXL.html

A quick look will give you some information you may find helpful.
    If you contemplate going to a larger format the Super Angulon XL does cover 4x10 negatives OK.
    If staying with 4x5 any of those you list should be fine.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Foamer

I've been using a Nikon 90mm f4.5 and have been very happy with it. Do make sure it will fit through your front standard though. I have to attach mine when the bellows are set to neutral.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I've been using a Nikon 90mm f4.5 and have been very happy with it. Do make sure it will fit through your front standard though. I have to attach mine when the bellows are set to neutral.

Kent in SD
    A very valid point....I should have mentioned that I intend to do mostly architecture photography so rising front will be used in most cases.

Keep your comments/thoughts coming!

Cheers Dave

What's driving you towards the f4.5? (For example, if you're doing interior work, then the f4.5 probably makes sense.)

If you don't need the larger lens, the f8 is lighter and has the same image circle as most 90mm f5.6 lenses. (235mm @ f22.) Of course, the image circle is a little larger, 235mm @f16.

Both my 105mm SW and my 121mm SW (SA) are f8. So, I figured that I'd save on weight and traded my f5.6 SA 90mm for the f8 Nikon version.

Sinar Normas are beautifully machined cameras. Talk about precision! Of course, the Norma lensboards are large enough for the f4.5 optic. Other considerations might be whether or not you decide to use a reduction lensboard, or if your Norma bellows has a circular opening. (Or both.)

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Dawson View Post
    A very valid point....I should have mentioned that I intend to do mostly architecture photography so rising front will be used in most cases.

Cheers Dave

Once the rear element is in, I have no problems.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

They're all more than good enough. Buy on condition and price.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    They're all more than good enough. Buy on condition and price.
    In most photography forums the OP's question would result in a fight to the death over which lens produced files with the most intense organic luminosity, or some other nonsense. One of the pleasures of large format photography is I don't have to read about the "Leica glow" or "Zeiss micro-contrast"!

Cheers Dave
    Then you might find that you will need a center filter. The Germans made them the Japanese didn’t.

Hello Dave,

If you're planning to do architecture photography, get the Schneider XL and matching or close enough centric filter and a bag bellows for the Sinar. It is very possible large amounts of camera movement will be needed to achieve the image demands. This mean getting a lens with the largest image circle possible and the most camera movement out of the camera possible.

-Not just a question of best value, it becomes a question of what tools will meet the image requirement needs. Short term thinking of best value could result in discovering the imaging demands cannot be met by the lesser or "best value" lens which will result in a less than ideal image. Best value can be a trap unless every aspect of the image making goals are fully understood and how each aspect will affect the finished print.

*Schneider 90mm Super Angulon XL has a image circle of 259mm at f22 or 110 degrees of image circle by design.
    https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecom...D=168&IID=1840

*Center filter is likely needed to correct for light fall off at the extremes of camera movement and limit of lens image circle.

*Bag bellows is required to allow the Sinar Norma to fully utilize the image circle capability of the 90mm Super Angulon XL.

Bernice

Cheers Dave