Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best value 90mm W/A lens value?

Re: Best value 90mm W/A lens value?

Bernice is right if you want/need to use excessive amounts of front rise, but the Nikkor 90mm f/8 is pretty close in terms of image circle.

When I first started LF, I did some architecture photography and on one church I wanted to photograph, my first lens, a Schneider 90mm f/8 Super Angulon MC, the image cut out before I had enough rise (hard black vignetting). I got a Nikkor 90mm f/8 soon after and at the same place, I was able to get it into the frame. Both these lenses claim 235mm image circle I believe, but from my test there I got more actual image from the Nikkor (some will debate the image quality, but in my photo the corners were just sky so it didn't matter). I now also own a 90mm f/5.6 XL. This monster has a 95mm filter thread (the previous lenses are 67mm) and is way heavier, for an image circle that is from the specs only 10% larger, but probably even less of a difference from the Nikkor from my experience.

On the other hand, I have seen some 90mm XL lenses sell for around the same price as the Nikkor, but that might've been a fluke. If you buy the Nikkor 90/8 it'll certainly serve you well and you can resell it easily if it doesn't work for you.

The actual best value for a 90mm lens for architecture though IMO is the Schneider Super Angulon 90mm f/8 - which can be found under $200 and will be just fine for most things, even architecture - it just has slightly less image circle. Back up or get higher and it's probably fine. Of course there will be times where you want the larger IC but it depends on what you are shooting whether or not that will matter for you generally.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Schneider's "Vintage Lens Data" webpage gives 216 mm image circle for the f/8 Super Angulon and 235 mm for the f/5.6 SA (non-XL).
    Nikon's 90 mm f/8 is unusual in having as much coverage as the bigger f/5.6-4.5 models – most of the slower 90s have less.

Oops, maybe I misread a spec somewhere. If that's the case, it explains my early findings.

So it all depends ultimately on how much the OP thinks he will need extreme movements.

The f/6.8 Grandagon is also a solid compact compromise between the f/4.5/5.6's and the f/8's.

Thanks so far to all the replies (keep them coming) The problem is (as expected) that with all the recommendations I am confused as to which way to go!

I'm sure you will all agree that at the end of the day, it is down to what is available at the right price/condition at the time of purchase.

I am 'leaning' towards a 90mm Nikon. Does anyone know any 'lawful impediment' why I should not go down that road?
    Cheers Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Dawson View Post
    Thanks so far to all the replies (keep them coming) The problem is (as expected) that with all the recommendations I am confused as to which way to go!

I'm sure you will all agree that at the end of the day, it is down to what is available at the right price/condition at the time of purchase.

I am 'leaning' towards a 90mm Nikon. Does anyone know any 'lawful impediment' why I should not go down that road?
    Cheers Dave
    Go look at the MTF, distortion, color, fall off curves of the lenses, Dan Fromm has them on a site and then compare the curves to the recommendations that you see here. Remember, very few, if any posters, have personal experiences with all of the 4 major manufacturers 90mm lenses in all of their latest variations.
    Since you have a Sinar you might also ask yourself why they chose Rodenstock for their Sinaron branded lenses.

I have used 90mm lenses from all 4. Not mentioned earlier is a Fujinon 90mm f/5.6 I had, and the Rodenstock 90mm f/6.8 I have that I use on a fixed-lens panorama camera.

The Nikkor 90mm f/8 is by far my most-used lens overall in 4x5. Hundreds of hundreds of sheets (if not thousands) have been shot with that lens. You absolutely cannot go wrong with it.

Whether or not some modern Rodenstock or whatever lens can get a few more lp/mm in the corners at specific apertures is absolutely irrelevant to me, and probably to most other photographers who make images in the real 3D world.

I'd point that there is a 4th manufacturer... Fujinon SWD and SW 90 are also 1st class lenses.

The SW is cheap, those with inner lettering in the front are single coated, those with lettering in the outside are multi-coated and offered for around $150 + shipping.

Circles: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...s/LF4x5in.html

http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/fujinon.htm

All four brands are very good, for ultimate resolving power you may find way more sample to sample variation than differences between manufacturers.

Two important things I'd consider is if shutter is in shape and return policy.

I don't think you can go wrong with most of the lenses mentioned here. Your actual budget and lens availability will introduce some reality into what you can get. I use a 90mm f/5.6 Super Angulon for 5x7 and 6x17cm roll film shots on the same camera, with great results.

Thanks so far to all the replies (keep them coming) The problem is (as expected) that with all the recommendations I am confused as to which way to go! . . .
    In that case, consider beginning with the Nikon 90mm f8. It's the least expensive, lightest option, that is none the less, an excellent optic with a substantial image circle.

If you have trouble focusing because the ground glass is too dim, then move up to the f4.5 Nikon. With the f8, you can also get an idea of whether or not you need the image circle of an XL. The XL is a huge lens that requires large filters. Personally, I would get an XL, only if there were no other choice.