Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CC Harrison Mammoth Lens

Re: CC Harrison Mammoth Lens

The fact that the iris blades are mounted well inside the barrel is not quite so clear in the CCHarrison article illustrations, but can be seen in one of the listing photos, showing 3 of the iris blades.

It is certainly a lovely piece of design and finish - in perfect condition.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

The rim holds the aperture blades may further limit the max aperture. So it might be slower than f6.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	189205

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

It's definitely not an Orthoscop. Those had much shorter barrels; see the Voigtlander 1-meter focal length Orthoscop below. For those interested, Petzval designed two lenses in 1840, the very popular Portrait Lens, and the much slower and wider-angle Orthoscop, meant for views and landscapes. The Orthoscop was not commercially produced until 1858, but was fairly successful until eclipsed by the Globe, Pantoscope, and Wide Angle Rectilinears.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Orthoscop s.jpg  
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

The lens looks certainly more like a Petzval than the Orthoscope the lister mentions. And the illustrated unique iris for the Orthoscope (see below) looks a lot smaller in maximum aperture than the one shown in the listing.
    If the marking on the iris is to believed, the maximum aperture is 4", rarher than near the 6" barrel width.
    Although the iris was an Orthoscopic "thing" perhaps it was also used on the "prestige" size?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

The diameter will be over 8 inch if it is f/4

Steven, it's a petzval, not an Orthoscop. You may have missed Mark's post. CC Harrison put the patented iris in all of their larger petzval portrait lenses, from size 4/4 on up. This was advertised.

What I find interesting is the variation in the larger CC Harrisons over a relatively short period. The knurled ring in the middle is probably just for assembly, it has noting to do with the iris I am pretty sure. Because the others that I've seen (only about 1-2 show up for sale a decade) do not have that ring, just the sliding small plate with the knob on it.

The initial testing of the lens shows its focal length is about 24-26 inches and has a f stops around 5.

Thanks for updating with the actual focal length, I was thinking 36" sounded way too long for how that lens looks compared to mine.

24x30...how many crew members needed to haul that gargantuan camera to the site?! Can't wait to see any illustration of the lens in action!