Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Landscape artists who focus on parks and/or park facilities?

Landscape artists who focus on parks and/or park facilities?

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about starting a project documenting / looking at the state parks in the San Francisco Bay Area, particularly focusing on the park facilities, trailheads, trails, and viewpoints, and the ways in which these facilities both enable the people in the area to access nature, but also circumscribe and pre-define their experience of nature.

Does anybody know of any other photographers who have done work like this? I'd like to see anything like this that I can use as inspiration / jumping off points. I'd welcome references to books on the topic as well, really anything in the general area that can help me develop a less-sophomoric perspective

Thanks in advance!
    Peter

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Landscape artists who focus on parks and/or park facilities?

The Bay Area Hiker has been doing that for years now: https://bahiker.com/. Although its been a while, I've been on several of their hikes over the years and routinely consult their trip reports which are documented with photos.

Thomas

For the lighter side and sometimes a little deeper than it looks, look at Ted Orland's Yosemite images.

Edited to add: The parks, trails and facilities (including a native animal zoo and a Japanese garden) of the Hayward Area Recreation District might be of interest to you.

And for a different view of playgrounds, the night images of Michael Kenna might give you some ideas to expand on.
    Last edited by Vaughn; 23-Mar-2019 at 20:24.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Are you planning on including the East Bay Regional Parks as well? They probably outnumber the State localities within 10 miles of the Bay 8-)

The biggest constraint is moving people to and from these places, and that dictates the ingress/egress points.

I'm definitely eager to see what comes of this project. I've been trying to visit many bay area parks myself lately (weather and schedule permitting), simply as a way of finding opportunities to get practice (both hiking uphill trails and shooting LF). Far too many of the trails seem to blend together after a while, and I often struggle to find interesting compositions, so inspiration is always good.

Of course I'd also love to come up with a way of capturing the high-tech side of Silicon Valley photographically, but large office buildings and notable company signage doesn't seem terribly interesting after a while.

Drew Wiley

There are probably over a hundred parks in the Bay Area, more than any other urban area on earth. A number of photographers have specialized in this, including a few of we large format types. We have significant National Park opportunities like Pt Reyes Natl Seashore and Golden Gate Natl Rec Area, a number of State Parks, and a significant number of Regional Parks, some of which are fairly large or otherwise interconnected by hundreds of miles of trails. There are also some interesting city Parks. The opportunities are almost endless. But you need to sort out the options by the kind of subject matter you are seeking, the time of year (it will be hot inland in summer, but cool on the coast), and where you plan to stay (traffic in and out of SF and other large cities can be hell if you don't time it right). But most of the non-urban parks are uncrowded, with the exception of Muir Woods, which is nuts. Will you have a car? I don't know what you expect to see in Silicon Valley. There's a Tech Museum in San Jose; but otherwise, just a bunch of big modern buildings not open to the general public. You'd have better luck as an industrial spy; but large format cameras aren't very convenient for that species of crime!

Of course none of the parks in the area are anything like natural. The whole landscape has been modified over the years, and the spaces we have abut residential space, farm land, or watershed. 250 years of imported eucalyptus trees near the coast (Pt. Pinole Regional Park); landfill around the Bay; mining residuals (Black Diamond Mines Regional Park is a classic case). Even the routing of visitors to Muir Woods or the arrested decay of China Camp are as much museums as open spaces.

As a one-time geologist the human interaction with landscape has always fascinated me.

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    The Bay Area Hiker has been doing that for years now: https://bahiker.com/. Although its been a while, I've been on several of their hikes over the years and routinely consult their trip reports which are documented with photos.

Thomas
    Thanks for the reference! Both useful for planning my hikes, and for planning my photos.

Quote Originally Posted by dkonigs View Post
    I'm definitely eager to see what comes of this project. I've been trying to visit many bay area parks myself lately (weather and schedule permitting), simply as a way of finding opportunities to get practice (both hiking uphill trails and shooting LF). Far too many of the trails seem to blend together after a while, and I often struggle to find interesting compositions, so inspiration is always good.

Of course I'd also love to come up with a way of capturing the high-tech side of Silicon Valley photographically, but large office buildings and notable company signage doesn't seem terribly interesting after a while.
    I'll definitely post the photos, thanks for your interest!

Photographing Silicon Valley is challenging, for sure. One thing that's slightly interesting are the warning signs on the superfund sites, which start to hint at the area's history and context.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Patterson View Post
    Are you planning on including the East Bay Regional Parks as well? They probably outnumber the State localities within 10 miles of the Bay 8-)

The biggest constraint is moving people to and from these places, and that dictates the ingress/egress points.
    I'm not currently planning to do any of the regional parks, only because of time restrictons. There are already almost 10 state parks on my list in the area, and adding regional parks would expand that too far. Maybe a follow-up project will cover a small region's regional parks.