Thread: Use type R or Ilfochrome paper instead of film?

Use type R or Ilfochrome paper instead of film?

If I only want a color print, can I simply cut some 4x5 type R or Ilfochrome pap er and expose them directly in the film holder? suppose I'm able to process thes e papers at home.

Some photographers have done so. But exposing it correctly and with the right fi ltration is rather a pain.

You will also get a rather different color pallette, which be pretty neat. I'd s tart with at least an 85B filter plus the filter pac kon the paper. I expect the effective ISO will be in the single or double digits. Neat idea!

I have not done this, but explored the possibility of using ilfochrome with a pinhole. In addition to the filtering needs for proper color (it is balanced for 3200 Tungsten + the filter pack correction) The effective ASA is somewhere between 1-4. I don't know what the speed of the type R is. Also consider that your final image will be backwards left to right. Work around/with/get over these hurdles and it sounds like a good way to make some one-of-a-kind images... I may get around to it some day if/when I get something to do 8X10.

I just did my first test with this. I wanted to try it because it will take me some time to assemble black and white processing stuff and I wanted to take some shots NOW! And I really like the idea for color.

I exposed Kodak Radiance III at ASA 6, and that turned out a little too light. Going for ASA 12 on next test.

After I figure out the ASA I'm going to deal with the filtration; but I like the effect (it's tungsten paper) in daylight; everything is a little blue and calm looking; greens are nice and saturated. I'm also stoked because my lab offered to process it for $1.25 per sheet, so I'm looking at under $2.00 per shot to shoot 8x10.

One disadvantage is the images are flopped, so you should shoot nature shots where there's no typography. I may try to find some shots of reflections in windows where the originals are backwards and thus the prints will be right reading.

Anyway - no dust! Or very little.

I've also been thinking about making a fixed focus camera that would have a mirror inside to flop the image.

But, yes, it does work and I'll let you know more. I may try some night shots also.

Hi,

I have some examples of this now, mostly Ilfochrome.

To view, go to:

http://www.netwood.net/usr/jonsmith/

So anybody tried this with Ra-4 paper? Would be nice if Freestyle had an Arista line of colour film.