Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Soft Focus Lens With Shutter for Zone VI 4x5

Re: Soft Focus Lens With Shutter for Zone VI 4x5

By all means do visit Dan's site. Here is the page translated to English if you do not read French.

I actually spent 5 years of my growing up living in an octagon house in Ripon, WI
    There are many octagon houses in Ripon. Why? I'm terribly curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    See http://www.galerie-photo.com/soft-fo...rait-flou.html for many example shots.

This site has resources. There's a section on soft-focus lenses in the FAQs on the mail page. In addition, the first link in this https://www.largeformatphotography.i...mainly)-lenses discussion has a link to a collection of links that some find interesting. It has a soft focus lenses section with links to pages, including the one I posted above, that you might want to visit.
    Thank you so much, Dan! Those are great resources!

Jac, I'm not entirely sure. I believe it's because there was the Ceresco commune there in the 1840s, and many members of that community were devotees of Orson Fowler's octagon houses. I think it was believed they were more healthful with better air flow and more efficient use of space (although, in truth, the rooms are super awkward for furniture placement). People used to stop to photograph the house often, and now I wonder what kind of cameras they were using.

Don't know, Jac. There's one in Fond du Lac, too. It could just be that at one time a builder thought they were neat.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Miller-Wilson View Post
    Jac, I'm not entirely sure. I believe it's because there was the Ceresco commune there in the 1840s
    Looking back we know he was a whack job but his octagon houses might be an entirely different story. It is so cool you lived in one.

It was falling apart (holes in the floor and plaster, mold, peeling wallpaper), but it was the most magical house I've ever been in.

What could be ideal for you at this time is a Wollaston SIngle Meniscus Lens. Softness is determined by aperture. Check http://re-inventedphotoequip.com/. Reinhold is a pleasure to deal with. His lenses are very inexpensive and I believe he is now able to add a Packard shutter to the front. He can mount them on boards to fit most cameras. I have three of them and find them a joy to work with. Look at some of his work to see how beautiful the images are.
    ALso,don't forget film.Mortensen,and most of his contemporaries used orthochromatic film, not panchromatic. I believe Ilford is still making Ilford Ortho film,or you can use the extremely inexpensive x-ray film as I usually do.

Ilford makes this orthographic sheet film which adds a nostalgic style of rendition to photographs. Can be handled and processed under a red safelight.

Ilford Commercial Ortho 4x5 by Nokton48, on Flickr
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Joel Edmondson

Really look closely at the Imagon lenses. Some love them, some hate them but they are unique and can result in a beautiful blend of soft and sharp... when used with the discs, and are usually available in Copal or Compound shutters. I would suggest the 250mm which should be fine with an 18" bellows. Even though you don't think it important now, flash synch is good to have and there should be no need to restrict yourself now only to decide later that it might be nice to have. Even though the Imagons really illuminate a large circle, there are significant aberrations if you try to use them at larger than intended formats. Do look closely at images with specular highlights because this can be annoying when using the discs with open/partially open peripheral openings. True, it can be used with only a central aperture but there are other soft-focus lenses which perform as well or better when used in this manner. If you go with an Imagon, hold out for one with all three discs, the ND Filter and hood because replacements are difficult to find. There is no front element, just a receiver for the discs, ND Filter and hood so don't be surprised if you see no front lens group. I wish you success in narrowing down your selection.
    Joel

Thank you, Jim! That's good to know about the film too!

I will look into the site you mentioned as well. Much appreciated!