Hello! I'm new here and am just starting out with large format. I've been obsessively reading posts in this forum, and I'm so impressed by the wealth of collective knowledge.

I just bought a Zone VI 4x5 Classic - the one made by Zone VI in Vermont around 1991. I want to shoot pictorial-style portraits - soft focus but not super, super soft, glowy highlights, shallow DOF, natural light, etc. I have a fairly good handle on lighting, exposure, and composition, but I have no idea what I'm doing yet with large format. I don't want to make things harder on myself with a Packard shutter just yet, so barrel lenses and petzvals are out for now.

I'm thinking maybe a Voigtlander Heliar or a Wollensak Vellostigmat? Are there others I should be considering? Do options like an Imagon 250 or Fujinon 210 give a similar look? What about a Zeiss Jena Tessar? Budget is about $500, maybe up to $700 if it wasn't likely to need a CLA.

I appreciate any advice you can give. Please forgive me if I've revealed my ignorance too much.