Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UV Exposure Box for Alternative Processing

Re: UV Exposure Box for Alternative Processing

Alan, thanks for the link, though I think that's the same manufacturer who makes them for the seller I referenced above. Same photo, same price. Sigh. Maybe I should just cough up the money... argh-huh... argh-huh... argh-huh!
    I dream in black and white.

The newest and greatest thing is UV LEDS. They can now be bought as multi-lamp flood lights, plug-and-go. String it above your contact printing frame and you are set to go. Too new for longevity tests from fellow alt printers. Many variations on the theme. More powerful than a bank of BL tubes, some decrease in UV output over time, but still up with BL tubes. Tend to be very wavelength-specific, so you must match the LED to your process (dichromate vs iron salts, for example).

I use 750W self-ballasted mercury vapor bulbs for both carbon and platinum/palladium. No bells, no whistles. A lot of white light and a lot of heat. In a separate room!

"Pizza oven" style BL tube units are great for PT and similar processes, but not sharp enough for me for carbon printing (thus the 750W MV lamps). Home Depot, etc sell plug-and-go BLB lamps and fixtures (single bulb) for that 60s/70s look. Three or four of them plugged into a power strip is an instant pizza oven style without the oven. They are the BLB tubes ("blacklight") and work fine. I prefer the BL tubes (white) as they are cheaper and a little faster (IMO).

Another pizza oven style on the market...bigger and another hundred or so...

https://www.freestylephoto.biz/26202...x24-Version-II
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Vaughn, this is so helpful, thank you. I have a personal aside to share... I watched my 85 year old mother die two years ago from pancreatic cancer, and swore off using any alt process chemicals that were known to be carcinogenic in my darkroom. I took my chromium based chemicals to the poison control center and turned them in. I know, I know... wear gloves, wear masks, turn on your exhaust fan, wear an apron, change your clothes, etc., etc. At the end of the day, no exposure is known to be safe with certain chemicals. I was already concerned about what I was using before I knew my mom was sick that one of the classes I took at the Center for Alternative Photography in NYC was dedicated to chemical safety, and THAT made me uneasy. I canceled my enrollment in a gum bichromate course. So I'm limiting myself to alt processes that don't involve known carcinogens. All of this is to say that I don't need to worry about a UV source vis a vis dichromates but am more focused on safer iron salts now. Like you say, I will need to calibrate.

Photographer

I found a Nuarc plate burner on Craigslist for $250. Your results may vary.
    Keith Pitman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    I found a Nuarc plate burner on Craigslist for $250. Your results may vary.
    I have two of those -- unfortunately they are an older style -- battleship gray sheet metal boxes with built-in vacuum frames. A N1000 and a N750 (refers to wattage of bulb). Too much heat build-up for my typical long exposures, but I might remove the vacuum frame of the N750 for use under my other lights.

But the Nuarc 26-1k has become a classic alt exposure unit (and its cousin the Amerigraph). Perhaps over-kill for some using iron-based processes -- certainly brighter (more UV light spillage), hotter, noisier (vacuum pump, etc), but perhaps not even as fast as a good set of BL tubes. If the light intragator (sp?) works, then the Nuarc will give as consistent results as a bank of BL tubes.

Images -- one of my self-ballasted MV bulbs and the two Nuarcs in my garage (and one-of-these-days full on dimroom).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UVLamp2018.jpg   NuArcDone.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Suh-wheet!

I bought an inexpensive grow light unit on eBay and replaced the bulbs with some from an aquarium supply store. (I use actinic bulbs but you can also use UVB). Inexpensive and no electrical work required. Mine uses 6 x 24" T5 bulbs, 24 watts each. I used to just prop it up on some blocks to slide my contact frame underneath but later I built a plywood box with a door to slide the frame in.

Total cost was around $200.

Sorry I don't have any decent pics here is one I posted a long time ago: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=x2npt5&s=9#.XIvb385KiUk

My exposure times for cyanotype, salt, gum etc. are normally less than 5 minutes.

Duplicate post, sorry

Mike, I went the route of building my own. I cannibalized seven inexpensive bug zappers. It works fine for me. Currently Amazon has a two light zapper for $29.00. I bit of electrical savvy and you are on your way to saving a few hundred.
    good luck

Had a platinum/palladium printing session last night using two of the 750W MV lamps. Here was my set-up on my garage floor. I'll do something more elegant when the garage becomes a dimroom.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lights.jpg