Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kodak 10 Inch f/6.3 Commercial Ektar with Acme No. 4 shutter

Kodak 10 Inch f/6.3 Commercial Ektar with Acme No. 4 shutter

Looking for those only with 'direct hands on experience' with this 'exact' lens please. I would like to know what 4x5 camera this lens will fit on and function as it should, no guessing please. I know it won't fit on my Wista 45N. <g> The lens fits on a Wista lens board fine but once I try and mount it, some of the lens actuators (no matter how I orientate the lens on the Wista board ... rotation wise) interfere with Wista U-brace. There also doesn't seem to be enough room between the front of Wista lens board and the back of the lens (meaning the gap between the two) so that the lens board fits under the two 'clips'.

1. Is there a solution?

2. What 4x5 will this lens work on as it should?

Thanks in advance,
    -JW:

Re: Kodak 10 Inch f/6.3 Commercial Ektar with Acme No. 4 shutter

I use mine with a GVII, and works great, as well as other Acme #4 mounted lenses and other large shutters... Large FS cameras, such as monorails should be ok...

You might be able to extend the front of the Wista board with a step extension just beyond where it clears the supports and maybe allows some front tilt...

Good luck!!!

Steve K

Hi JW

Shouldn't be any problem mounting this on to a standard Sinar board i.e. 140mmsq and there are plenty of 4 x 5 Sinar's around on the used market

regards

Andrew

This lens definitely works on Cambo. If the Wista uses thin metal boards there should be room to shim the lens away from the board with a custom-made washer or two, which may help with the board lock clearance (I did this for my Pacemaker Graphic board with a No 4 Shutter like your lens is most likely mounted in.) but that won't help lever-clearance problems, probably.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

mwmh, it seems that Wista makes a top hat lens board. Getting one might save you the cost of another camera. One might solve your problem. I b'lieve there's a recent post about a 3-D printed one, but a quick search (Google Advanced Search in largeformatphotography.info) didn't find it.
    Last edited by Dan Fromm; 7-Mar-2019 at 08:42. Reason: correct editing error

I have the same shutter, but with a 12" Commercial Ektar, mounted on a Shen Hao Linhof style board. I did the machining (hole saw) myself and screwed the flange to the board. This combination works with a Chamonix 45N and a Canham MQC57 with the Linhof adapter.

How big is the gap in your mount? You should be able to add a spacer to gain a bit of clearance. I bet a good photographic machinist like S K Grimes could help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    mwmh, it seems that Wista makes a top hat lens board and save the cost of another camera. One might solve your problem. I b'lieve there's a recent post about a 3-D printed one, but a quick search (Google Advanced Search in largeformatphotography.info) didn't find it.
    I'm new to LF but not film (Pentax 67 end-user) so some of the terminology and configurations are a stumbling block for me. I found these two items. I'm not sure if either would work with my Kodak 10"f/6.3 Commercial Ektar in Acme No. 4 shutter.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...FVaC1RMVlRTmVR

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20mm-55mm-7...frcectupt=true

-JW:

PS: This is probably the thread you're speaking of?

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ed-lens-boards

Exactly. Thanks for finding the thread, it is the one I remembered but couldn't find. Note, Cambo boards won't fit your camera.

As I understand your problem, the front standards' uprights (you called them a u-brace, is that Wista-speak?) interfere with the shutter's controls. A top-hat board will hold the shutter clear of the uprights.

How do you have the lens mounted in the board? If you are using the mounting flange behind the board as a locking ring it will place the shutter very close to the board and given the size I can see it interfering with the camera.

Lenses in Ilex-Acme# 4 shutter is inherently too big for field cameras with small lens boards. This results in trade-offs when the lens mount is modified to fit field cameras with small lens boards. The extender cylinder lens boards will solve the problem of mounting the Ilex-Acme# 4 shutter on to the Wista 45N lens board, trade off being a front heavy camera which affects camera stability, impaired front tilt dependent on how far the shutter body is extended away from the U support and what once was a small light weight field camera is not longer small or light weight with this lens applied to this camera system.

Beyond getting the 10" C-Ektar mounted to the Wista 45N, does the entire set up have enough bellows for using this lens at infinity and shorter focus distances?

There are better 10" - 250mm/240mm lens choices for the Wista 45N. It appears lenses in a Copal, Compur, Prontor, Seiko, or similar# 1 shutter would be a better choice for the Wista 45N.

On a Sinar or similar flat front camera, a number four shutter is a non-issue, except these are not going to be small-lightweight and hike with back packable like this Wista 45N and similar.

Bernice