Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The March Sierra Nevada Snow Survey

Re: The March Sierra Nevada Snow Survey

With a good amount of snow will the runoff be enough to raise the level of Mono Lake much?
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

From the recent Mono Lake Committee Newsletter:

On October 1, 2018, Mono Lake was
    at the same level it was on October
    1, 2017. The lake level dropped lower
    through the end of 2018, only to catch
    up again in early February 2019. It is
    unusual for winter lake levels to track so
    similarly, since there is usually a lot more
    variability from year to year. However,
    this year by late February the level had
    already exceeded the April 1, 2018 level
    and is expected to continue rising.

Mono Lake—at 6381.85 feet above
    sea level in late February—is still about
    2 feet lower than it was at the beginning
    of the 2012–2016 drought. Currently,
    Mono Lake has about 10 vertical feet
    to go before it reaches the management
    level of 6392 feet above sea level.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

One good thing is that all that heavy snow will bring down some of the dangerous beetle kill trees, especially in places where chain saws are forbidden.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

I my lifetime, some places have had snow has packed over 200 ft, Les; and I'm not counting glaciers. As I mentioned somewhere earlier, the greatest amount of recorded snowfall in a Winter season was over 90 ft in the 1890's; but that was at mid-elevation, not higher up where it could have been considerably deeper if anyone had measured it back then - a potentially suicidal mission. But yes, drifts and other forms of pileup factor in to cumulative depth. That's why the official snow surveys are always done out in the middle of big flat meadows, where actual snowfall is the predominant factor. Kayaking season depends on the stream they're trying to run. It can involve a lot of strenuous backpacking including carrying the kayaks themselves, plus typically a lot of technical rope work getting over waterfalls or around cliffs that can't be run directly. Some river sections seem to require more time lowering the kayaks and other gear on ropes than actually in the water. Floods are manmade. I should know better than most. So does John K. Both our parents worked on the dam that was the start of the whole Central Valley Project, intended for both irrigation water and flood control. My dad was in charge of the Friant-Kern Canal. Much of the Valley that is now arid was once vast seasonal flood plain. Ships came all the way from SF Bay to Tulare Lake way down by Bakersfield to harvest turtles for SF gold rush restaurants. Thousands of Indians once lived on the shores of Tulare Lake, which is now white alkali powder most years. But there is only so much water you can keep behind a dam. More dams don't necessarily help. Water release is important for both hydroelectric power (the primary function of all the dams upstream), and for agricultural use. That's why they survey the snow to see how much to empty out in advance of the June melt. If someone is stupid enough to buy a house on a susceptible riverbed or floodplain, which thousands of people obviously are, there will be an equal number of unscrupulous developers willing to accommodate them and take their money. That's why I call it a manmade problem. But what is even more fascinating about those floodplains in how they behaved back in the Ice Ages. Vast herds of big animals - camels, horses, mastodons, mammoths, etc - would be feeding in those areas, and then suddenly an ice dam would burst on some glacier way upstream and they'd all get instantly buried. There are fossils beds all over the place if you dig deep enough, which did happen during canal work. But alas, the local museum north of Madera seems to have suddenly closed due to lack of funding. They had a short faced bear skeleton in there that would have made you think twice about wanting to be a hunter armed with a spear thrower back then, 50% bigger than any living bear species. They also had a Harlan's ground sloth skeleton as big as a backhoe, with claws a foot long, which was the smallest species of sloth roaming around at that time! But it had a tiny brain that was probably well programmed with a complete lack of patience for any bear that did presume to take a bite out of its backside. Their hide was embedded with bony plate armor.

This was reported today---162% of normal at Phillips Station near HWY 50
    https://www.kcra.com/article/sierra-...egins/27023799
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

And it's still raining!

Thomas

Drew Wiley

It's a bit of an unusual year in that the whole length of the range (northern, middle, and the higher southern) is now fairly consistent at right around 160% of statistical "normal". Ordinarily, there's a fair amount of discrepancy between the northern and southern portions due both to different prevailing storm directions and different altitudes. So June will be dicey with stream crossings, and July truly a vampire blood letting under squadrons of mosquitoes. But probably pretty nice after that, though an ice axe might still be helpful for especially high off-trail passes. Meanwhile, the snow reports in the nothern Rockies, specifically Wyoming, vary a bit from between 10% over to 10% under average conditions. I expect a fabulous wildflower display here on the coast, especially Pt Reyes, well through June. Poppies are already common here on the East Bay. I'd expect a pretty good swath of them at the mid elevations of Mt Diablo in a month or so. Of course, there are a lot of other flower species popping up too, if you'll excuse the pun. Unfortunately, prime flower season in the high Sierra coincides with peak mosquito season, since they're predominantly nectar seekers, but prefer blood when they can get it. My advice is, bring along a fair-skinned, blonde, blue-eyed friend and ask then to wear bright yellow clothing and lots of perfume. That way, you won't get many bites yourself.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

The 2019 snow pack is similar to the 2011 and 2017 snow pack: https://cdec.water.ca.gov/snowapp/swcchart.action. In 2011 Tioga road opened on June 18th and in 2017 on June 29th. https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tiogaopen.htm. However Elizabeth Wenk, author of a popular guide to hiking the John Muir Trail https://www.amazon.com/John-Muir-Tra.../dp/0899974368 points out that the 2019 snow is concentrated considerably
    lower than the 2017 snow was:

It's an above-average year for sure but probably won't linger as long as
    2017 at the altitudes where we hike and which comprise the watersheds above
    our more problematic crossings. So unless the melt is delayed or there is
    lots of new April-June snowfall we should see June-July easier in 2019 than
    the very challenging 2017

So at this point it looks like Tioga road will open mid to late June.

Thomas

Plowing typically starts on April 15th. I'm looking forward to the pass opening.