Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Experiences re: Calumet Archival Print Washer

Re: Experiences re: Calumet Archival Print Washer

Daniel, I bought one of the 16x20 Calumet print washers in 1985 and still use it. I put all my finished prints in a holding tray of water until it is time for the final wash. Just the weight of the washer with all dividers is substantial with water added you will need a very sturdy support. I put the washer in my darkroom sink to wash the prints letting the water to drain from the washer into the sink and down the sink drain. It does use a lot of water as mentioned by others. After washing is finished I drain the tank, remove dividers, separators, turn the washer upside down with one end resting on the edge of the sink and let it dry. After drying I put everything back inside and store the washer under my sink. About 5 years ago I got a 20x24 model and have it set up on a stainless steel rolling food cart I purchased at Sam's Club. You might look at a rolling cart to set it on.

Thanks for the ideas Pat!

mustee washing machine part by Nokton48, on Flickr

Ok my plan is to make a custom work table for this, out of 2x4's. I'll use metal corner braces too. To avoid a potential flood, I'll order this washing machine floor pan $78 from Hope Depot. I'll run a drain in the pan with PVC to the large drains right next to the washer.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Luxor Heavy Duty Rolling Cart by Nokton48, on Flickr

For my needs I ended up buying -this-. A Luxor Heavy Duty rolling cart from B&H. 17.5 gallons H20 plus maybe 50 lbs for washer, equals about 198.75 lbs fully loaded and weight distributed. Rated for 500 lbs so should be ok.......... When I'm done with it each time I will drain the Calumet completely. 24.5"x37" is the inside dimension of the Luxor. The cart has got about 2 1/4" of lip which would catch slow leaks, I can drill a hole and install a 3/8" drain hose just in case?

New plumbing is complete so the next step is to fill it up 30 day store warranty if the Calumet leaks..........
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 13-Mar-2019 at 08:39.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

I have a general question that applies to these washers, as well as the ZoneVI mentioned earlier in the thread by Bruce Barlow, and probably all of those using plexiglass dividers: is there any way to get the dividers flattened once they have warped? I have a ZoneVI, and a number of the dividers are by now quite "bowed" rather than being straight. They still work, but the shape of several of the compartments is now quite strange!

I doubt it. You could try getting new sheets at Home Depot, though I'm not sure they'd be as thick. It's not difficult to cut plexiglass or acrylic down to the size needed if you get a plexiglass knife. Of course, you could get real glass at a glazier. Heavier, but will never, ever warp. Just ask them to smooth the edges.
    I dream in black and white.

From Google-

Flattening warped acrylic

Find a flat, heat-proof surface.
    Put your warped acrylic on the work surface.
    Cover your arcylic with a heat-proof teflon sheet or similar (I bet a silicone baking mat would work)
    Warm your iron to ~180F.
    Put the iron on top of the acrylic–weigh it down if you can. ( ...
    Leave the heat on for about 15 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk