Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8x10 contact print

8x10 contact print

percy,

As much as I love 8x10, let me tell you----its absolutely the worse camera for some (rare) situations----and thats what speed graphics are for....or your cell phone ;-)

Welcome to 8x10!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

8x10 contact print

Jorge, I've been meaning to ask. What's the status on that new Ulf you've been waiting for? I think it was ( or is) a 20x24 wasn't (isn't) it?

8x10 contact print

It fell through Robert. Jim is still working on his design but could not assure me he would have the camera by the end of this month, so I had to get a refund to buy another one. At the moment I am thinking who to go with or to build my own.

8x10 contact print

sorry to hear that Jorge. I thought he was delivering it personally the last time I heard anything. There was a 16x20 wisner with a 14x17 reducing back just on ebay for sell. It didn't meet the reserve price so I imagine it is still for sale. This included film holders and cases. I think the highest bid was 5600.00 or something like that. I know that's a little small for you but something you might want to consider. Hope it works out for you, I've been looking forward to seeing some 20x24 pt/pd prints. Hope you find a solution soon.

Scott Davis

8x10 contact print

I started off shooting medium format, then devolved down to 35mm, then up to 4x5 and now 8x10. I'd love to unload most of my 35 gear, but it does make a useful tool from time to time when I want to do cheap happy-snaps. My Hassy now feels like the point-n-shoot after shooting an entire vacation on 4x5, and the 4x5 is the 'small' camera. One of these days I'll get my hands on a 7x17 or maybe even an 8x20 so I can sell off the Xpan and still shoot panoramics. The big stuff is just so addictive, you don't care about the compromises you have to make to use it.

8x10 contact print

percy: I have a few 4x5s sitting around and cannot remember how I used to think that that was "large format" the dinky little negatives! only 4x5 inches!

It depends on where you stand.

good luck

8x10 contact print

I think the 8x10 system is easier. I got frustrated with 35mm years ago, got rid of the enlarger, mostly because nothing was good enough quality-wise. All those years for me, and for most photographers I talked to, 8x10 was a pipe dream. When I finally decided to do it, I realized you don't need much besides the camera and a piece of glass. Ok, the tripod's pretty big, but it's not actually absolutely necessary.

I think what I like the most is considering one composition at a time, instead of burning off 36 before you can see what you've shot. And never with 35mm did I stand there for two hours waiting for the light right, for the shadows to creep down to the right point.

8x10 contact print

Jonathon,
    Just curious if you have any suggestions on what to use in the absence of a tripod - maybe a sand bag or bean bag or, is any solid surface the answer?

As background, I used to shoot a lot of large format, 3-1/4x4-1/4 and 4x5 but that was many years ago. I have been shooting only 35 and digital for a while now. I acquired an old 8x10 from an acquaintance for free. I had the lens/shutter cleaned and rehabed. I am not sure that I want to get back into large format and have not wanted to make a big investment in a tripod for something that I may not want. But... I can't forget how absolutely incredible the photos from large format appear. The sharpness, detail, clarity are second to none. I don't know... I am sitting on the fence here.

I have film, lots of film holders (including some for 5x7 that I will never use)... just need a solution to not having a suitable tripod.