Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do when you run out of rise?

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Re: What to do when you run out of rise?

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    ... in the pedestrian zone while the city was full of order troops for a manifestation of the "gillets jaunes" ..."

Maybe it was not time to be hanging in there with a view camera with tripod and dark cloth! In those cases, a Leica M6 with a 28mm lens would have done a quick and nice job.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Climb on top of a truck or bus?
    Or a ladder? I sometimes carry one with me. I will also carry an extra tripod, a Gitzo Giant 5, that can extend up to about 13 feet.

Although a little humorous, it's a good idea. A little higher perspective can solve the rise problem, and it's often better for a photo where so much rise is needed. Sort of using actual rise, versus artificial rise.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    Or a ladder? I sometimes carry one with me. I will also carry an extra tripod, a Gitzo Giant 5, that can extend up to about 13 feet. Although a little humorous, it's a good idea. A little higher perspective can solve the rise problem, and it's often better for a photo where so much rise is needed. Sort of using actual rise, versus artificial rise.
    Tripods, ladders, wedges, hills…

If you run out of rise, several tools in this image might rescue your image. ;^)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ladder.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	188426

"I was shooting the 35mm hand-held version of the view so I could get even higher on the ladder than was possible with my 4x5, tripod-mounted camera," says Norman McGrath, who wrote Photographing Buildings Inside and Out. He's the one on the ladder. "Be warned, it's easy to become giddy in a situation such as this one."

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    Or a ladder? I sometimes carry one with me. I will also carry an extra tripod, a Gitzo Giant 5, that can extend up to about 13 feet.

Although a little humorous, it's a good idea. A little higher perspective can solve the rise problem, and it's often better for a photo where so much rise is needed. Sort of using actual rise, versus artificial rise.
    I was on a holiday, not on a mission with a mule and 2 sherpas to prove a point For me the Wista, 3 lenses, lightmeter, 6 chassis and a tripod was far more than I expected it to be. I hope there is something on those negatives or I'll be mad. (ok, I'm already mad just to do this)
    Expert in non-working solutions.

I have constructed a 6x12 camera with a fixed rise (held vertically) something inspired by the Linhof 6x12 Technorama. I constructed it for trees photography but later found useful even for photographing church towers. But of course you would be limited by the film format in such a case.

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    I have constructed a 6x12 camera with a fixed rise (held vertically) something inspired by the Linhof 6x12 Technorama. I constructed it for trees photography but later found useful even for photographing church towers. But of course you would be limited by the film format in such a case.
    Got some more info on that? Like photos of that camera?

I had been thinking along the lines of making something for it inspired by the "skyscraper camera" Ron posted about here. https://www.largeformatphotography.i...=1#post1484601 Or at least make a lensboard with the hole decentered upwards by default (instead of downward like the most).
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Just an aluminium box made for a Calumet 6x12 rollfilm holder with a Nikon 90/5.6 lens. Fixed focus, serving well at the working distances, with a hyperfocal value. I don't remember the rise value anymore, was it 15mm? Once I was ready to take a picture with it just to notice in the last moment that the camera was oriented the rise being fall... I saved the picture when I realised it in the viewfinder (a Linhof one taken from Technorama 617 and masked correctly, easy for this focal length). Never happened any more, a good lesson. No pictures available, sorry.

Who needs rise?

Things to note: Lensboard, negative stage and baseboard planes all meet in the same place to the far left. Lensboard shift needed to center lens. Horizontal composition becomes vertical. No 'dark sky' because the sky gets lightened during printing as the sky is farther from the lens and prints lighter.

Name:	Perspective Correction.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	188467

Name:	corrected.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	188468

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Who needs rise?

+1

Another example of why Durst floor standing enlargers. The base board is mounted on a locking ball joint which can be adjusted like to to adjust the image. The other advantage of the locking ball joint base board, it can be used to precisely set up the head to base board assuring edge to edge-corner to corner projected image to base board alignment.

BTW, the head moves too.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Who needs rise?

Things to note: Lensboard, negative stage and baseboard planes all meet in the same place to the far left. Lensboard shift needed to center lens. Horizontal composition becomes vertical. No 'dark sky' because the sky gets lightened during printing as the sky is farther from the lens and prints lighter.