Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the 5x7 format endangered?

Re: Is 5x7 endangered?

Paul Caponigro turned me on to 5x7 back in the '80's. He likes the aspect ratio, as do I. I also like the fact that the logistics of using this format are very similar to those of 4x5 - and for folks like myself (and many others on this forum from what I can gather) who depend on our aging backs to schlep our equipment, sometimes far into the field, for enough elapsed time/variety of subject matter to justify a dozen holders and three to five lenses, and who can then dependably enlarge resulting negatives to large sizes (in my case, 40x60)...this format is a godsend!

And then there are those situations where if I could choose any format, I would go to 5x7 as a "sweet spot" for reasons relating to size/aspect ratio (compared to 4x5), and "point of diminishing returns" relating to the use of 8x10 when dealing environmental factors, balance of movements with DOF requirements while being cognizant of diffraction-inducing aperture values when wanting to significantly enlarge results, relative consistency of film flatness, etc. etc. Given these potential issues, 5x7 is often hard to beat!

Eric Biggerstaff

Is 5X7 endangered? Nope, at least no more so than film in general I suspect. Plenty of great films available (just limited on the color side), enlargers can be found, most 4X5 lenses can cover 5X7, nice contact print size, camera bigger than 4X5 but still small enough to pack easily, aspect ratio wonderful for many subjects - all in all a nice format to use. Heck, B&H even has 100 sheet boxes of Ilford Delta 100 for under $200. I have been stocking the freezer for a few months and have Tmax, HP5+, Delta 100, Tri-X and FP4 so film is not hard to find. I have even used the Foma and Arista films which are nice once you test them and dial in the exposure and development (sort of gives you a nice "vintage" look). So if you are interested then go for it!
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

5x7 is my favorite aspect ratio. I acquired a cheap (Seneca?) 5x7 camera 15 month ago and I enjoy using it a LOT (though it has limitations: as a cheap camera, it curiously has no lock-down for the rear standard, but that is a manageable issue). I don't shoot film with it - I use it solely for wet plate negatives and ambrotypes. I have a Voigtlander f3 lens (not sure of the focal length) fitted to it on a home-made 3D printed lens board.

Drew Wiley

Well, the specific films I routinely needed over the decades were never available in 5x7. I'd call the selection at any given time quite restrictive. I you just standardize on one particular black and white film like FP4 you could hoard it. But working in color chromes in tandem with very specific black and white emulsions for masking needs, and then pointing to a single color neg film option, and that infrequent, just didn't do it. Now I shoot Ektar for color - none of that in 5x7 either. But there are times I simply crop the same aspect ratio onto full 8x10 film, sorta 5x7 "supersized".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	City of Rocks.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	188142About four years ago I bought a 1952 Deardorff 5x7 from someone on this forum, and love it! Wish I could have been doing 5x7 one hundred years ago. I have scanned film from 1910 thru 1936 that was shot with a circuit camera that used 5 inch wide film and some of the results are mind boggling. The 5x7 drum scan on my film can produce a stunning 45"x66" photo from a 1.7 gig file with no interpolation. I also thank Keith Canham for putting together orders for various 5x7 films.
    Thad Gerheim

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I'm actively considering platinum printing and the 5x7 format makes it more affordable than 8x10. I don't have a 5x7 camera but do have an 8x10 to 5x7 reduction back for my Toyo's.

Thomas

Drew Wiley

I've often coveted a Canham 5X7; it's the "sweet spot" in his wooden camera lineup in my opinion, with the option for a 4x5 back too.

Question Re: Is 5x7 endangered?

Hi, Corran.

I'd like to know more about your camera. Is it available commercially, or a personal project? If the former, would you please share a link to more information?

Many thanks,
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    J Lane makes 5x7 dry plates.
    They are my most common size behind 4x5 (just a tad few more than 8x10).
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

This isn't a "Darkroom Equipment" thread. As it's a fairly general topic and for lack of a better option, I'm going to move it into "On Photography" and revise the title slightly.