Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Film washer info

Re: Film washer info

THanks, I've sent him an email. What I don't quite know–as I've never seen sheet film washed in this way–is if this kind of setup is suitable for film, or if it is dangerous in terms of adding extra possibility of scratching the film, especially when taking it out of the slot. How do you do it? Do you use tongs with soft ends to pull the film out?

Also, I see on his site the larger model has a different print holder design. I'm wondering if in the smaller unit the cut outs in the slots might scratch film?

Lastly, here is a link to Fotoimpex for the Nova washer (so you can see what it looks like):

LINK>>>

What do you reckon about this design? I want to be able to use it to wash prints, too, hence my desire for one of these kinds of units. The small amount of space the NOVA and Rosy washers take up would be a God send, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I think this is still made. I have one.

Call him, he made Leedal for a long time.

http://www.rosyproducts.com/archivalprintwashers.htm

I use my fingers with the Zone VI to remove the film works like a charm. 😄

Fingers with my Inglis CrossJet washers.

Roger

Thanks. I wonder how that would work with the NOVA washer, which is 30x40cm / 11.8x15.7". I've seen some people on Youtube inserting what I can only describe as wire baskets for washing film in big units like this, but I've never seen one listed for sale.

Alistair was the master with acrylic and the marvel with his washers was the innocuous volumes of water that got film washed. Having film separated saved me endless angst after trying washing film in trays which was a disaster with scratches. Fortunately I have a a complete array of his handiwork with backups. Like Dick Phillips design, someone could step up and fill this void but I am not holding my breath.

I have found out the Kienzle also make an 8x10" dedicated film washer. Fotoimpex made me aware of it and they are enquiring with Kienzle to get some extra detail.

For what it is worth . . . I have enough 4x5 hangers (the Kodak 4As) so that I just put the hangers -- with film -- in my print washer. It is a locally made 11x14 washer with dividers. The dividers come out and a couple of plexi rods hold the hangers and film.

Consider a siphon washer feed with a hot water heater tray. Super economical

I have a old SS film washer for 8x10 hangers. It's a dump tank type. Water goes in at the bottom and sprays jets of water on the film. When it gets full you pull a slide that let's the water dump out fast. For fiber base prints I fill a archival washer. After I insert the rinsed prints I run a circulation pump. Every 5 to 10 minutes I open the drain and let all the water out. Then I refill the washer from a bucket and let it recirculate some more. Do this 3 or 4 times.

I always use hypo clear, I rinse the prints in a tray before putting in the washer, and I keep temperature at 68F.

Gentle agitation and several complete changes of water.

Just received a brand new Nova Washmaster Eco 16x20" for my darkroom. While it works as it should, I'm not particularly impressed with the build quality. I bought this for the darkroom at work, and am looking to buy another washer for personal use. For that I'll be going for the Kienzle 9.5x12" washer (non-air burst). It's more expensive, but as described by Fotoimpex much better built and with better water circulation. I don't need any larger for at home, plus it sounds better for use washing film...