Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Anti newton glass history & usage wanted

Re: Anti newton glass history & usage wanted

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Some people would call that effect out of focus! True soft focus retains some sharpness.
    It all depends on the share of exposure time the image is in focus, it is a true soft focus image because we have a totally sharp image component and a blurred image component.

Another control factor is the amount of defocus we provide while exposing the defocus time share.

With the enlarger method if "sharp time share" is 90% then sure that the print wil also retain a lot of sharpness.

This can also be easily simulated in Ps, by adjusting the blend of the sharp image layer with a more or less blurred layer.

But for shure that a soft focus lens is a different thing, because the effect also may depend on the DOF/OOF position of each spot, as corrections work different through focus. IMHO soft focus lenses have a beautiful bokeh vs soft_focus interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    It all depends on the share of exposure time the image is in focus, it is a true soft focus image because we have a totally sharp image component and a blurred image component.

Another control factor is the amount of defocus we provide while exposing the defocus time share.

With the enlarger method if "sharp time share" is 90% then sure that the print wil also retain a lot of sharpness.

This can also be easily simulated in Ps, by adjusting the blend of the sharp image layer with a more or less blurred layer.

But for shure that a soft focus lens is a different thing, because the effect also may depend on the DOF/OOF position of each spot, as corrections work different through focus. IMHO soft focus lenses have a beautiful bokeh vs soft_focus interaction.
    Of course, changing focus or head height during exposure will also add vibration! Unless, perhaps, if your enlarger has motorized elevation and/or focus.

A true soft focus lens diffuses the highlights into the shadows, that requires a greater lighting ratio, and lenses like the Imagon also have greater depth of field at the same focal length, distance and aperture.
    Stockings, soft focus attachments or your technique will not give that look.

Of course, changing focus or head height during exposure will also add vibration!
    Yes, but that vibration is irrelevant because the sharp component was already exposed, and the vibration of the blurred component has no effect because that component is blurred anyway.

Of course we first expose the sharp component and later we defocus, not the reversed order.

A true soft focus lens diffuses the highlights into the shadows, that requires a greater lighting ratio, and lenses like the Imagon also have greater depth of field at the same focal length, distance and aperture. Stockings, soft focus attachments or your technique will not give that look.
    Of course, no doubt. A soft focus lens has, in fact, amazing aesthetic nuances that come from the scene 3D, and this may be very difficult to emulate from a yet flat image.

Also, there is nothing wrong in using other resources, like generating a soft focus with the enlarger or with Ps. IMHO soft focus glass is linked an entire aesthetic culture of inmense value. But if one has a sharp negative then making a soft focus with the enlarger it is a choice, this is just a different creative tool we have.

To me the Soft Focus glass is clearly a more powerful tool, but we may prefer the other way for a particular situation.

Here's an example of the use of a piece of ANR glass for print manipulation. I held it under the lens, moving it slightly, for about half the print exposure. Notice how the highlights have smeared into the shadows. I have heard this described as "D-Max Glow". I think it can be produced with other diffusion materials, but I liked the effect obtained with my piece of ANR glass, the molded type, with the ANR surface facing up towards the enlarger lens.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kathy LR.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	188877

Interesting!
    Tin Can