Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horseman Topcor Lenses and Seiko Shutters

Horseman Topcor Lenses and Seiko Shutters

I'm looking to get educated on Horseman Topcor lenses and Seiko shutters. My father-in-law has a Horseman 4x5 HD that I'd like to take for a test drive, and I noticed the Topcor lens name and the Seiko shutter, and thought to myself that I don't usually see these names in LF. However, when I search the 'net for information it seems these are THE lenses and shutters typically used for Horseman cameras. If you have experience with these, I'm interested to hear and learn from any insights you have to share about their performance and/or quirks. Thanks!
    I dream in black and white.

Re: Horseman Topcor Lenses and Seiko Shutters

I shot Horseman Topcon Super 90mm in Seiko and a 120 mm APO Symmar in Copal this week with Horseman HD, same scene, same film.

Both negs equally sharp at f22.

I will not post the negs.

I like both lenses. With a HD I want a lens that will fold up inside, both do.
    Tin Can

Nikon, Fuji and Topcon are all makers of fine LF lenses. I have twelve Topcor LF and MF lenses and six Fujinon LF lenses. I don't know of any quirks of the lens cells other than the 90mm 5.6 LF Topcor (the one that covers 4x5) has a removable ring in the back so it will fit through the lensboard. If you take the lens off and don't replace the ring, the rear element will be damaged if you set it down.
    In terms of Seiko shutters. Some have a lever that you push or pull, rather than slide back and forth for focusing and viewing.
    I think the LF 300mm Topcor is one of the rarest. I don't recall ever seeing one for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Nikon, Fuji and Topcon are all makers of fine LF lenses.
    Nikon and Fuji are, of course, names I know (I have a Fuji 210mm lens), but are they somehow related to Topcor lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike in NY View Post
    Nikon and Fuji are, of course, names I know (I have a Fuji 210mm lens), but are they somehow related to Topcor lenses?
    No. Nikon is a contraction of a Japanese name that means Japan Optical Company. Fuji is an abbreviation of Fujifilm, whose lens brands are Fujinon and Fujinar. Topcon is an abbreviation of Tokyo Optical, whose lens brand is Topcor. Three entirely independent companies. All three make, sorry, made excellent LF lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Three entirely independent companies.
    That's what I thought... wasn't sure why they were mentioned in previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike in NY View Post
    That's what I thought... wasn't sure why they were mentioned in previous post.
    The three popular Japanese manufacturers of the large format lenses one finds on the used market.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 11.04.49 AM.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	183.4 KB 
ID:	187830

Again to point out some Seikos have a lever that pulls and pushes to open the shutter. Shutter needs to be cocked. Some of the shutters with the lever stick, so the blades might stay open when the lever is pushed back in. They later changed the mechanism to a sliding lever that performed better. Are you able to open the shutter to focus?

Can you post a picture of what you have?

Cameraeccentric site used to have a Horseman catalog. That is a great catalog. In addition to demonstrating the extensive line of cameras, lenses and accessories, it shows the basics of view camera movement and tells about lens coverage and other lens specs (no MTF curves, however).

I presume you know how to use a view camera, but I have seen Horseman field cameras destroyed by people that don't know how to open the camera or remove the back or use the lens rail.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Cameraeccentric site used to have a Horseman catalog. That is a great catalog. In addition to demonstrating the extensive line of cameras, lenses and accessories, it shows the basics of view camera movement and tells about lens coverage and other lens specs (no MTF curves, however).
    Still there. http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/...orseman_2.html

That's a good catalog. I have one close to that issue.

Calumet also had Horseman in their catalogs, but not 8X10 as they were pushing the C!.

The Horseman catalogs can be deceptive especially with part #'s changing for the same part.

I believe the 5X7 Rail Horseman never made it past imagination. I know of several of us searching for it, which is only a standard, frame, back and bellows to use with other rail components.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Tin Can