Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rotatrim

Drew Wiley

Re: Rotatrim

Bob, I think he's referring to those plasticky office-supply outlet versions of Dahle linear cutters, which truly are awful, just like office store Dahle and other guillotine cutters. You don't find the good ones in places like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Bob, I think he's referring to those plasticky office-supply outlet versions of Dahle linear cutters, which truly are awful, just like office store Dahle and other guillotine cutters. You don't find the good ones in places like that.
    I’m sure he is!

While I find it difficult to line up a mark on the cutting side of the rototrim, if I use a template cut with an xacto and steel straightedge first to set the stop, it is quite accurate and easy to use. I can trim a millimeter off a sheet of paper if necessary. Just remember to cut in the direction marked on the cutting head (from the bottom to the top) and stop when you reach the top--do not pull the head back or you will most likely ruin your sheet.

Jim ... do yer trim yer whiskers with thet thar Fiskars ?
    I have a 24" Rotatrim at work. Big, heavy, giant, clunky machine. The OP was asking about cutting 8X10 film. The little Fiskars trimmer is plastic, very light, can travel easy between darkrooms, and I love the thing that holds the film down without scratching anything while you cut. There are 2 of them on e-bay for $20 includes shipping. You guys love to make this as expensive as possible. It's almost like bragging. Who's got the biggest Rotatrim.

FWIW which isn't much I suppose, probably 85% of the images on my web pages were cut with that little plastic Fiskars. Many of the 6.5X8.5 had to have 3 cuts before being loaded. That was because they were coming off a 9.5" long roll of Aerial Recon Panatomic X that had been fogged some time in it's life but only the first 1/2" on both sides next to the loading reel. So I'd cut 6.5, then cut 1/2" off both sides of that to get a clean full plate sheet. In the dark.

The other neat feature about the little Fiskars is that a 12" plastic ruler fits tight between the 2 guides and you can keep moving it to different places to make a "stop" for different things you're cutting. Expensive isn't always better.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    While I find it difficult to line up a mark on the cutting side of the rototrim, if I use a template cut with an xacto and steel straightedge first to set the stop, it is quite accurate and easy to use. I can trim a millimeter off a sheet of paper if necessary. Just remember to cut in the direction marked on the cutting head (from the bottom to the top) and stop when you reach the top--do not pull the head back or you will most likely ruin your sheet.
    A mm is quite large compared to the shaving I can do with my Dahle, both with the illuminated base rotary and the self clamping gulitine cutters!

I agree with Mr Galli cheap does work.

I also don't go nuts if my cuts are not perfect as there is a lot of slop allowable in most holders.

Perfect rectangles are not necessary, close enough for Govt work is useable.

Your margins may vary, but I seldom include them.
    Tin Can

No, the 558 & 554. The rail has quite a bit of flex in it & the cutter head will swing out of position at the slightest provocation & get jammed on top of the clamping strip if someone lifts the thing even slightly wrongly. A square or double rail would prevent this.

Drew Wiley

I doubt cheap would work for the kind of precision registration issues I routinely had to do deal with. In fact, I'm certain it wouldn't. Even half a mm off-sized or out of square would be totally unacceptable. And not all holders are sloppy either. If they were, I sure wouldn't want them. "Govt work" not only won wars, but lost a few too, with a lot of waste either way.

I have a really large Dahle, a medium Rotatrim, and a smaller Fiskars. Comparing them is an apples and oranges sort of thing but here goes:
    The Dahle is fine, but huge.
    The Rotatrim is plumb worn out errr well seasoned. It will pull as Drew pointed out.
    The wee little Fiskars is accurate and convenient but limited to one sheet at a time or things tend to get wonky. I don't know if it is the same model Jim Galli has though.

A smaller high end Dahle would be a nice addition but it's unlikely I'd spring for one. I just don't have that much aerial roll film left to justify the diet of sodium fortified Top Ramen to come up with the loot.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    The OP was asking about cutting 8X10 film. The little Fiskars trimmer is plastic ...
    I actually looked at the Fiskars while searching since I've had good results with their 'other' products. I wonder if any of their 'models' will handle cutting x-ray film accurately?

http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Cra...Paper-Trimmers