Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tolerences for lensboard hole size for Copal 0

tolerences for lensboard hole size for Copal 0

No problem with the Copal 'O' and a 34.6mm = 1.362" or 1.3/8" I have cut all my own Sinar Metal Boards using a fine toothed hole cutting bit with a hand brace. It pays to get the right tool for the job and gives great satisfaction.

Thanks all. I gather from the reponses that I can use a 1-3/8 inch drill, I can do it myself, and that there is a bit of tolerance in the widths -- in other words, not rocket science. The lensboard I have is plasitic, so I don't think that bending or stress will be a factor.

thanks again, David.

Luckily at work, I was one of the investigators that put money into a nice little Roland MDX-20 CNC milling machine, which is capable of cutting aluminum and brass but not steel. I just cut out a #1 hole for my "new" Symmar 210/5.6 today in a #0 board from ebay. Really easy software for it - just cut the board outline in a piece of wood, cut the hole in the outline to make sure its centred, double sided tape the board on, cut the hole perfectly centred.

Actually, I was thinking for next time to try and cut an entire lensboard with it from a flat sheet. For a Calumet 4x4 board, it ought to be very simple to mill out an entire square board from a flat sheet. (might take a long time!)

It also has a scanner function - it can scan a part, then import the dimensions into a drawing for refinement/modification, then duplication on the mill.

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

The machinist you went to is a loser.

I been a precision machinist for over thirty years and now own a high precision CNC machine shop & manufacturing company. I've made all my own lensboards, and a slew of unique little widgets that assist my photography, and all other parts of my life. Just send me the board, tell me exactly what you want, and I'll do it for you free of charge and it will be right. email me.....

My kingdom for a machinist - I used to work at a company that provided me access to a superb light metal fabrication shop and really good people. I miss that!

I gained a lot of respect for those guys - real artists and craftsmen! I still marvel at the thought of the things I built with their help.

View cameras are 19th century technology. It doesn't hurt to be accurate but there is a lot of room for play, so play!

Cheers!