Quote Originally Posted by pkr1979 View Post
Am I missing out on something?
I think you are, yes. That doesn't mean that you'll think so, which is fine, but you did ask...

What I think you're missing out on, is a reason to do this. Most people seem to shoot 10x8 with the intent of contact printing. If you're going to scan, why are you using 10x8? You'll gain almost nothing from scanning 10x8 over scanning 5x4.

That said, drum scanning 10x8 is certainly doable. But it's certainly a PITA also. If you're going to scan 10x8 I suggest looking for a professional flatbed. But I doubt anyone makes them any more.

If you're sure you want to drum scan and you're sure you want support and maintenance (and you're willing to pay for them), you'll need to be looking at Aztek scanners. They are, I believe, the last company in the world still making and selling drum scanners, parts, supplies, and service (but also check to see if ICG in England is still functional; if they are substitute "ICG" for "Aztek" all over this paragraph because that would be a heck of a lot closer to Oslo than Los Angeles is). Perhaps the most cost effective thing for you to do then is to coordinate with Aztek to see if you can find a used Aztek scanner in the US close to Aztek. Have them clean / tune / refurbish it and ship it to Norway or wherever you need it. It'll be expensive, but hopefully you won't have to do it again. Just a thought.

If it were me (and it clearly is not) I'd proof off one of the Epson consumer flatbeds. If the proof showed sufficient promise to warrant a professional scan, I'd get one made. As in, I'd send the film to Lenny Eiger (on this forum) and pay him to do his thing. Why? It would save you the expense of buying and maintaining a drum scanner, the time and frustration (you wouldn't believe me if I told you) of learning how to do a proper fluid mount on a drum, and the time making scan after scan after scan learning how to use the software to get the most out of the scanner. Instead, send your film, and a check, to Lenny. But probably that's just me. And I used to be a pretty good drum scanner operator.

You can learn from my mistakes, or learn from your own. Whatever makes you happy.