Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Justin Lowery, the best landscape photographer of the current times?

Re: Justin Lowery, the best landscape photographer of the current times?

Peter, NM is on my short list to visit and look around. I drove straight through it many times. Never liked the OK Tolls so I didn't stop much until CA. Mistake!

I love campfire chats. However I have slowed way down on my juice consumption. My last beverage of choice was VOODOO RANGER IMPERIAL which is cheapest at my Local COOP. I was also fond of a few double shots of Jägermeister. Professionals get a large discount...in Chicago.

My father always told me, you can drink when you are young or drink when you are old. I chose the young route. So did he. Martini man.

A little drop of courage and I don't shut up, I have an endless supply of true "Bar stories" as i call them. Tell them very quickly or the listener will fall asleep. Trained for years in Chicago neighborhood bars which are becoming rare, especially after I left 2 years ago. How's that song go, ***** just left Chicago...

Tequila is OK too for campfire as it's good to pass around. Beer just gets warm...

I love the video made by your new governor 2 days ago.

Have Camper Will Travel

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Collins View Post
    I need to sit with Randy Moe around a campfire plus alcohol of his and my choice. I would bring his posts on this thread and ask him to unpack them.

Provocative discussion by everyone posting here!
    Tin Can

Gotta add this, a quote from, https://vinepair.com/articles/jagerm...igestif-shots/

"In case you were wondering what you’re flooding down your gullet at 2:00 a.m. next to a dude named Randy who thinks he might major in “extreme poetry,” it’s Liquid German Perfektion. Also the name of my forthcoming autobiography, and probably several unsuccessful but really well-meaning garage bands.

Published: March 30, 2018"
    Tin Can

I have to meet this RandyMoe guy

Drew Wiley

Well, I don't care much for Fatali's touristy gravitation to glitz, much less for some of his questionable marketing methods, but will stick by what I said about his printing ability. Stand next to any of his big Cibachromes and any typcial inkjet or web posted image will look unfinished. Even his fakes are seamless, if astronomically impossible. Lighting rocks via bonfire did give some of his images a special look - the negative consequences of that reckless habit became obvious once Smokey the Bear started twitching his nose. But I don't buy into the sainthood of Smokey the Bear either. Ever wonder why some goofy bear in a hat is standing there with a shovel every time there's a forest fire, yet he doesn't even drive? It's perfectly obvious - he uses the shovel to bury the gas can before it's discovered. As far as AA goes, it's nonsense to think he has imprinted everything in American landscape photography. If given the same spot, the same antique camera and lens, and an old-time blue plate, an AA photograph and a Muybridge print of El Cap would still look completely different. They visualized differently. I've stood in the exact spot as some of AA's famous shots and looked around and said to myself, well that's nice, but how the hell did he miss thaaaat? We all see things differently. The only time I've been in a side-by-side exhibition with AA, I was chosen as the counterpoint - specifically because my own work was so different from his, even though much of it was taken in similar areas, like the high Sierra or here along the central Calif coast. There's simply no need to copycat. Do what you do best; but do it best. I don't know about Randy's taste. People stand in line for two days straight to get a few bottles of the annual run of Pliny the Elder. It's especially worthy at 10,000 ft, and has in fact saved the lives of a few chipmunks trying to get into my pack, cause I couldn't aim a rock worth a darn!

Drew, that might be the closer post on this thread!
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

Does that still exist? Something as the best photographer? Or has it ever? And the best painter, did that ever exist? I find this complete nonsense. Not to say anything negative about Justin Lowery with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Laminarman View Post
    Well, I was talking about the fires that ruined a monument so whatever floats your boat I guess : )
    Oups, I didn't know the story, sorry.

Now that I read https://loe.org/shows/segments.html?...35&segmentID=9 "The Ethics of Nature Photography", I understand you better.

Happily he took some photographs before he filled the arch with smoke ;-)

- But this discussion is perhaps a little bit hypocritical: think of all the thousands and millions of tourists who fly in with big aeroplanes, take a daily shower or bath, bring in their plastic astronaut nutrition or plastic sleeping bags and clothes and tents etc every day, only to document that they were here and there, often with smartphones made in China sweatshops, with children digged Coltan from Africa etc. https://annemckinnell.com/blog/wp-co..._4-Edit_lg.jpg

Perhaps Fatalis behavior is only a symptom. As far as I read the workshop members didn't complain when he lit his fires.

Is there a pristine nature, still? - Corresponding to landscape photographers, eg. Justin Lowery: why do they / we search something like pristine nature / motifs instead of documenting the impact of men like Fatalis on landscape? I think the mentioned website above is a better documentation of a socio-ecological environment / biotope than the Velvia-Cibachrome-IMac prints of a Fatalis or a Lowery. They're only small details, cutouts, a suspension of reality, highly subjective, kitsch, Bob Ross (I adore him), an escape from reality, towards (simplified) shapes and (a few compleasant) colors and esthetical structures. - Is it a question of religion? Do we search something that is already lost?
    Last edited by Daniel Casper Lohenstein; 9-Feb-2019 at 03:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    "In case you were wondering what you’re flooding down your gullet at 2:00 a.m. ... it’s Liquid German Perfektion."
    You mean RODINAL?

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    People stand in line for two days straight to get a few bottles of the annual run of Pliny the Elder.
    You are a long way from Vermont mister! I didn't know Alchemy made out to the Left Coast. Usually its small batches shipped just 50 miles from The Brewery, and they put
    a limit ( used to put a limit?) at the beer depot on how much they allow you to buy. I think there is " an app" so you can track the delivery truck from what a friend told me. I've made a PTE clone before. I was delicious but cost a fortune! Instead of the typical 1/2 oz, or 1oz or 2 oz of hops, if memory serves correct, it took 1lb of hops for a 2.5 gallon batch. The best part was instead of 2.5 gallons yielding about 2 gallons of brewski the the hops absorbed more 1/2 of of the make.
    Last edited by jnantz; 9-Feb-2019 at 07:13.

Please specify date, gallery, location and/or witness for your claim to exhibit side by side with AA.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    ...The only time I've been in a side-by-side exhibition with AA, I was chosen as the counterpoint - specifically because my own work was so different from his, even though much of it was taken in similar areas, like the high Sierra or here along the central Calif coast....
    Tin Can