Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your favorite photographers and genres?

Re: Your favorite photographers and genres?

Julia M. Cameron
    Eugene Atget
    Edward Weston
    Paul Strand
    Ansel Adams

I gravitate to photographers who use large format. Three favorites who come immediately to mind are William Clift, Sally Mann (especially her earlier people-oriented work), and Jock Sturges. Sturges is probably the most controversial, I am not partial to his subject matter (young nude women) but wish I could have his fluency with large cameras. Since I saw some debate about Sally earlier in this thread, not only do I enjoy much of her work, but I took a workshop with her maybe 35 years ago, and found her to be a remarkable person.

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    I gravitate to photographers who use large format. Three favorites who come immediately to mind are William Clift, Sally Mann (especially her earlier people-oriented work), and Jock Sturges. Sturges is probably the most controversial, I am not partial to his subject matter (young nude women) but wish I could have his fluency with large cameras. Since I saw some debate about Sally earlier in this thread, not only do I enjoy much of her work, but I took a workshop with her maybe 35 years ago, and found her to be a remarkable person.
    I like William Clift, but the other two are kind of focussed on child nudity?
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Sturges took most of his bests known work on nude beaches in Europe, primarily teens and twenties. He married one of the subjects, and was known for getting new releases from the people in the photos not only at the time of taking, but every time he had a show containing their images. While it isn’t a genre I’m attracted to, I find the naturalness of his work amazing, looking more like 35mm than 8x10 (that’s what I meant by “fluidity.”) Sally Mann made pictures of her own family on their Virginia farm; her children played a lot naked, so that’s what is in the pictures. One of her favorite words is “quotidian” meaning “every day” and she photographed them doing everyday things. Her pictures of other young people (see her book “At 12”) has them clothed. And for the last few decades she has concentrated on landscapes of the Civil War South as well as the impact of racism on Southern culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    Sturges took most of his bests known work on nude beaches in Europe, primarily teens and twenties. He married one of the subjects, and was known for getting new releases from the people in the photos not only at the time of taking, but every time he had a show containing their images. While it isn’t a genre I’m attracted to, I find the naturalness of his work amazing, looking more like 35mm than 8x10 (that’s what I meant by “fluidity.”) Sally Mann made pictures of her own family on their Virginia farm; her children played a lot naked, so that’s what is in the pictures. One of her favorite words is “quotidian” meaning “every day” and she photographed them doing everyday things. Her pictures of other young people (see her book “At 12”) has them clothed. And for the last few decades she has concentrated on landscapes of the Civil War South as well as the impact of racism on Southern culture.
    She makes beautiful images. I'd like to see the southern landscapes.

Man Ray
    Edward Weston
    Ansel Adams
    Paul Strand

And a soft spot for Margrethe Mather

Oliver Gagliani, Arthur Tress, Paul Strand, Margaret Bourke-White, Charles Sheeler, Michael Kenna, Mark Klett, Frantisek Drtikol, Karl Struss, Jerry Uelsmann, Minor White, Wm. Mortensen, Robert Demachy....
    Just to name a few off the top of my head

Born L.A.-NYC is 2nd Home-Rustbelt is Home Base

A few of my favorite photographers…

Lisette Model, Robert Frank, Mary Ellen Mark, Henri Cartier-Bresson, Michel Chelbin, Les Krims, Maggie Steber, Don McCullin, Salgado, Irving Penn, Diane Arbus, Gail Halaban, Cristina Garcia Rodero, Alfred Eisenstaedt, Bruce Davidson, Robert Doisineau, Jane Evelyn Atwood, W. Eugene Smith, Martin Munkasci, Larry Fink, O. Rufus Lovett, Weegee, Robert Capa, Judy Dater, Ray Metzger, Erich Salomon, Harry K. Shigeta, Emmet Gowin, Jill Freeman, James Nanchez, Helen Levitte, Shelby Lee Adams, Brassai, O.Winston Link, Graciela Iturbide and William Mortenson.

Quote Originally Posted by Laminarman View Post
    But I operate on a guttural level- I like it or don't. Kind of like broccoli.
    I like the idea that you operate like brocolli.

Pretty good list with many of the classics. One of my favorites is the lesser known finnish photographer Pentti Sammallathi- his panoramic landscapes with stray dogs are particularly beautiful - definitely worth a look :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	269A22CC-1490-4488-81E8-9E027AFC5C02.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	187426

Name:	4306783F-990E-462B-BAF0-8EE1379BC777.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	187427

Name:	647CEB82-8C21-4013-A8E0-6D120A4F192D.jpeg