Thread: Graphite CLA points in a Conley Safety Shutter

multiplex

Graphite CLA points in a Conley Safety Shutter

Hello :

I recently acquired an old lens in a Conley Safety Shutter that I would love to add a little graphite to so it won't "hang" so badly on slow shutter speeds. I have taken it apart and put it back together again ( so I was able to get that far at least ) but I am a little bewildered at where the spots might be that I add a little graphite here and there. It doesnt' need a lighter fluid bath just a little bit of "fast" .

Any suggestions ( aside from using it on B or T) ?

John

Re: Graphite CLA points in a Conley Safety Shutter

No on using Graphite. Graphite is abrasive and not a proper lubricant for precision clockwork mechanisms like shutters.

If any lubricant is used at all, use watch oil which is low viscosity, designed to stay out and not dry out easily. The synthetic variety is best.

Know any shutter of age will have dirt accumulation which will is abrasive on its own. Adding most any lubricant will essentially put this abrasive dirt into solvency which effectively grinds away at the parts as they move. This is why, "clean and lube." is important. The accumulation dirt and more must be removed before clean lubricant is applied at the correct internal moving parts. Applying lubricant at the wrong parts will cause problems.

Bernice

Bernice

multiplex

Thanks Bernice !
    The shutter has been "cleaned" already but it is the lubricate that I am stumped about. I had been told ( and I have read ) not to use oil on this type of lens because they require a dry lubricant ( graphite ) instead. Are there some shutters that required Dry Lubricant and others that required Oil and I am just confusing this for a "Dry" shutter?

Thanks !

John

Hey John!!!

Graphite is not to used as a cloud of lube, but can be used as a sliding contact polish... Old oxide metal surfaces have a very slight tacky surface, so it is used with a very small amount on a q-tip and used to rub this very fine abrasive to remove and smooth...

Careful with the type you get, as it should be extra fine pure, or you might find moly powder somewhere which is better...

With precision sliding surfaces, oil lubes usually will hang up a little, as very light parts will tend to cling to each other, and there might be a trace of old sticky lube on them, so not clean enough yet...

Don't shoot a cloud of it into anything, and keep solvent or moisture off blades, or it can destroy them...

Steve K
    Last edited by LabRat; 2-Feb-2019 at 02:09.

multiplex

Thanks Steve

I appreciate the help !
    John