Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: On topic of dust, here is just my scanner glass...

On topic of dust, here is just my scanner glass...

...at 6000dpi with same crop area as my 4x5 film occupies. This was right after I scanned last image. I had brushed off and sticky rollers glass so it should have been mostly dust free. But as you can see, not even close. In fact, you can see concentric rings of dust suggesting a magnetic field or static charge field set up on glass. Could have been from sticky roller, but not supposed to create a charge neither is my kinetronics whisk. So that is baffling. In fact, it could be the result of the electronics inside the V850 such as the ccd passing by. Most likely a magnetic or electric field is being generated. And this is just on scanner glass with high res lens being used.

I completely cleaned exterior glass, brushed, sticky rollers and currently scanning again.

Imagine this, plus the crap on beg and ANR glass and optical Mylar. Definitely says clean room needed or you will need to marry PS for the long haul.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BDBFE61B-04F1-4234-AFE7-1108259662AB.jpg  

Re: On topic of dust, here is just my scanner glass...

Hire a cleaning lady??

Steve, what about one of those anti static guns vinyl album audiophiles use (below)? I don't have one, but I know folks that SWEAR they work. I found that in our dry house an electrical charge anywhere helped collect dust. In the winter a humidifier helps, are you in a cold, dry environment?

https://www.needledoctor.com/Milty-Zerostat-Gun

After a thorough cleaning. Better, but ugh.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails E72EA7B0-87BC-42CB-828B-D8984203F1C4.jpg  

I forgot, for one clinical research study we did in our practice we were given an anti static gun like the one I linked to, to remove dust from ophthalmic lenses where we had to keep testing lenses very clean except we were not allowed to touch the glass. I didn't do it my technicians did, but they said the dust blew off easily (bulb blower, we couldn't used compressed air).

Quote Originally Posted by Laminarman View Post
    Steve, what about one of those anti static guns vinyl album audiophiles use (below)? I don't have one, but I know folks that SWEAR they work. I found that in our dry house an electrical charge anywhere helped collect dust. In the winter a humidifier helps, are you in a cold, dry environment?

https://www.needledoctor.com/Milty-Zerostat-Gun
    I am looking at one of those and a small quiet air compressor with an inline filter. Also considering grounding the glass to a wall socket as well.

Gonna get a humidifier too, I live in Mesa AZ so we don’t have humidity!

That little device looks like it will work well.

Are you wiping with a dry cloth and creating static? I use only microfiber (from an on line higher end auto detailing store they just LIFT) after washing in castile soap or microfiber detergent. No FREAKING fabric softeners! I spray the cloth with Stoner and wipe and it is magical. My house humidity is like 29% it sucks. I destroy my dogs and kids daily with shocks when I touch them. I humidify my bedroom in the winter. My wife snores like a rhino otherwise (good God I hope she never finds this board....)

I'll trade Steve. 20 below wind chill tonight. I think you have a static issue. If this company who hired us was investing 4 million in a research study and wanted us to blow dust off with an anti static gun, I would think they knew what they were talking about? It seemed to work and might be worth a shot.