Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10x12 format?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    In the desert...

10x12 format?

Any users of the 10 x 12 format?

Re: 10x12 format?

Yes, I have a lighweight 10x12 Vageeswari, I dont use it that much these days. I made my own shutter out of half a speed graphic and would use my old barrel lenses with it. I only ever used xray film though.

Zebra

Dave my old friend!

I use a 10 x 12 Canham for a large portion of my Wet Plate work. Love the format. To me it is the sweet spot to holding a plate in your hands and hanging it on the wall. I also use it for pt/Pd work

Hope you are well

Monty

In the desert...

Quote Originally Posted by Monty McCutchen View Post
    Dave my old friend!

I use a 10 x 12 Canham for a large portion of my Wet Plate work. Love the format. To me it is the sweet spot to holding a plate in your hands and hanging it on the wall. I also use it for pt/Pd work

Hope you are well

Monty
    Yo Monty,
    I'm looking into the 10x12, am working with 14 x 17 this winter and spring, 10 x 12 seems to be a good "all round" format...Hugo is worth up some custom specs for me.

If you ever heard back from Chamonix regarding a 10x12” camera and you can share, I’d love to know details / price. I’m actually quite keen on this format and if money come my way via print sales - yeah right! - I might order one with also an 8x10” reducing back. I’m keen to know if they make holders, too.

Lastly, a friend just ordered a custom cut box of true 10x12” film from Adox (chs100ii) and they can cut pretty quickly! Their standard closest sheet size is actually 9.45x12” though. Is this a more usual sizecthese days, or what? I see Adox, Bergger and Ilford all produce paper at this size too, rather than true 10x12.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten View Post
    Yo Monty,
    I'm looking into the 10x12, am working with 14 x 17 this winter and spring, 10 x 12 seems to be a good "all round" format...Hugo is worth up some custom specs for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim V View Post
    Lastly, a friend just ordered a custom cut box of true 10x12” film from Adox (chs100ii) and they can cut pretty quickly! Their standard closest sheet size is actually 9.45x12” though. Is this a more usual sizecthese days, or what?".....
    9.45x12" sounds like 24x30cm. The availability of cameras which take this European standard equivalent to 10x12" is greater than the corresponding numbers of 10x12". Lots were made made around 1900 and are reasonably priced these days.

I reckon 10x12" is a great format. The only reservation I have about it is getting film, as Ilford or Kodak (as far as I'm aware) don't seem to do this size even on custom orders anymore? Adox do though, so that's an option?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim V View Post
    I reckon 10x12" is a great format. The only reservation I have about it is getting film, as Ilford or Kodak (as far as I'm aware) don't seem to do this size even on custom orders anymore? Adox do though, so that's an option?
    There is always the option of xray film? Its cheap, comes in pack of 100 sheets, but a little care is required.

I also shoot 10x12. Made my own camera and holders and I shoot x-ray with it. Love the format.

10x12 here as well. It's a great format. Started with a 10x12 Deardorff, but now have a 10x12 Chamonix and a Sanderson A Pattern. It's a standard size for the Ilford ULF program and I'm sure Adox would cut it for you.