Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Scanner Comparison 2019 [Epson Flatbed | Eversmart Flatbed | Drum Scanners]

Re: Scanner Comparison 2019 [Epson Flatbed | Eversmart Flatbed | Drum Scanners]

Thanks for doing this comparison. I appreciate that you have included the raw negative scans. I wouldn't have processed your leaf picture the same and being able to compare them using my normal workflow is nice. Like Ted Baker suggested it would be nice to include an example with a color checker, or at least some reference colors with known neutrals and skin tones.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Thanks for your hard work. SO what setting should I use on my Epson V600? I shoot medium format 6x7.
    Thank you! What software are you using? I would recommend scanning at the highest DPI setting possible in 16 BIT RAW and then using Color Perfect to convert to positive.

Quote Originally Posted by EH21 View Post
    Great thread, thanks for doing this!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Baker View Post
    It is one way to measure the MTF of the scanner, for example rather than trying to measure what can be resolved at around 5-10% contrast which is what the USAF target your are using does. You can measure what can be resolved with a contrast of say 50%, or any contrast level for that matter. It is a much better comparison method.

This blog explains https://harvestimaging.com/blog/?p=1328

There is some software in imageJ to the calcs (Its on my todo list to test)
    Thank you Ted - learned something new. I will try to see if this is something I can incorporate towards the end of the other planned tests. Since the resolution is consistent across all scanners, I would say that we should at least get a reliable comparison even if it doesn't test the performance across all possible scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Baker View Post
    Yes that looks pretty good. I was wondering if you have a photograph taken of color checker chart, in daylight. I am interested in comparing with can be achieved by other scanners or a DSLR so having a target that anyone can create if they have same stock might be useful and for other selfish reasons but perhaps that will take this thread on a tangent.
    I can look into this for you Ted but likely something that will be done at the end, if time permits

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gebhardt View Post
    Thanks for doing this comparison. I appreciate that you have included the raw negative scans. I wouldn't have processed your leaf picture the same and being able to compare them using my normal workflow is nice. Like Ted Baker suggested it would be nice to include an example with a color checker, or at least some reference colors with known neutrals and skin tones.
    You're welcome Larry! I will be including a variety of other color negatives and will keep some normal scenes in mind as I select the right LF and 35MM film to scan. When all said and done, we should have a comparison across multiple scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Pali, in this case I'd also rate it better, in Element 6.0 (at bottom) bars orientation is perceived with absolutely no doubt. To me it's 3250dpi.
    Pere, I think you are correct on both the Epson and Eversmart Pro. I'll update the DPI accordingly when I summarize the tables. Thank you.

Thinking about using this image for 35MM Color Negative scans. This image seems to have quite a variation of light and colors from high saturation to pastel. The scene itself is a common one so we should know what the true colors are. Any thoughts before I start scanning?

Is it just my old eyes or is the image a bit on the soft side??? (Nothing wrong with a soft image - I like it.) But if one is going to compare scans wouldn't a crisper image be better?

Quote Originally Posted by Pali K View Post
    Thank you! What software are you using? I would recommend scanning at the highest DPI setting possible in 16 BIT RAW and then using Color Perfect to convert to positive.

Thank you!

I use Epsonscan with my V600 and usually scan at 2400. With medium format that goives me 200mb files. Highest DPI isn;t practical. It would give me 1tb + files. At what pointt does the scanner really not distinguishing pixels?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I use Epsonscan with my V600 and usually scan at 2400. With medium format that goives me 200mb files. Highest DPI isn;t practical. It would give me 1tb + files. At what pointt does the scanner really not distinguishing pixels?
    Alan, with the V600 scanning at 2400dpi or a bit higher is OK, as you noted, in practice you won't improve much from scanning at higher dpi. I had the similar V500.

https://www.filmscanner.info/en/Epso...V600Photo.html
    https://web.archive.org/web/20180131...V600Photo.html

While a very basic film scanner, with MF film for sure it will deliver good enough images to be displayed in monitors and tht are also good for moderate size prints, if no high densities there having to be recovered.

A used V700 for some $250 would be a big improvement, if you can sell the V600 this would be a $150 investment, allowing also for LF scanning.
    Last edited by Pere Casals; 15-Jan-2019 at 06:27.

Maybe we should let this thread be strictly about Pali's comparisons, using other threads for advice on particular workflows.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know