Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Anyone hear of a new Ilford paper possibility?

Re: Anyone hear of a new Ilford paper possibility?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I see you're up to your usual "revenge wisecracks". Sal. I'm fair game, and certainly don't mind a sucker punch from time to time. Look up the career of Peter Krause. That's where I got this, face to face. He began with Agfa Ansco, back when Gasparcolor was a still live process under their control, moved to the US awhile in a photo marketing capacity, then back to Europe to Ciba Geigy as Manager of its Photo and Instrument division, where and when Cibachrome was developed; and only AFTER the acquisition of Ilford was appointed its President. I don't think it can get more "gold standard" than that, though there are no doubt many details of the R&D phase I have no personal knowledge of. Like it or not, I do my homework, especially since I specialized in Cibachrome for thirty years. No choice. If something went wrong on their end, as it very much did when big paper companies didn't have a clue how to properly warehouse and handle expensive sensitized material, it equated to grief on my end.
    Hi Drew and all. Not sure if this helps. I love this site

https://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/I...ibachrome.html

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Oren, before retirement I commuted 100 miles round trip per day for 33 years. I never affixed a bumper sticker to any of my cars, but had lots of time in Los Angeles traffic to read every one on other vehicles that came into view. The best of that lot was:

I Feel Much Better Since I Gave Up Hope

Perhaps you ought embrace the sentiment. Especially when dealing with posters who know everything about absolutely everything.
    I feel much better after I block them.

Yes, your definitive link does a fantastic job of explaining all historical Cibachrome processes.

Links that offer factual depth with practical experience that mere humans can emulate are always useful.

Youtube videos are also welcome although many are long and talkative.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    Hi Drew and all. Not sure if this helps. I love this site

https://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/I...ibachrome.html
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    it's a bizarre, sparkling lightly, pebbled surface.
    It's not bizarre at all - at least not compared to the horribly cheesy baryta coated impersonations of mould-made papers produced over the years. All it is is a cold pressed cotton paper with an emulsion that has neither matting agents nor various additives to improve gloss - what you're largely seeing is the natural sheen of the gelatin.

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    It's not bizarre at all - at least not compared to the horribly cheesy baryta coated impersonations of mould-made papers produced over the years. All it is is a cold pressed cotton paper with an emulsion that has neither matting agents nor various additives to improve gloss - what you're largely seeing is the natural sheen of the gelatin.
    Didn't look like the natural sheen of gelatin to me.

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    I don't know what it is, but it's too much for me. If I recall salt prints are sometimes lightly waxed. I love the paper. It's just a bit too "brilliant " for me. It feels amazing to the touch.

I just Googled it. I remembered some of it. Beeswax and Oil of Lavender, used for waxing salt prints. We have a friend, an Art professor, who studied salt printing at GEM in Rochester. I remember the delicate aroma of the Lavender on her work. That makes me smile all by itself. The Bumble Bees love Lavender. Win-Win

Drew Wiley

Oh hi, Duolab. Yes, I've visited that site from time to time for the wide variety of processes it describes. There were several dye-destruction processes at one time. They list a temporary product of Ilford. But that was apparently briefly parallel to the more serious attempts to modernize Gasparcolor already ongoing in Germany, which was the actual pedigree of Cibachrome. But I should probably lay low for awhile, cause this kinda derailed the primary thread. I have to get my courage back up to start seriously printing my own personal modernization of the old Eastman Wash-Off Relief Process. So far all the little ducks are nicely in a row; but I'm stuck trying to get caught up with a lot of drymounting, plus just plain having fun doing lots of black and white printing. But concerning another tweak to this thread, I remember seriously locking horns with a print dealer who was selling off some of the most valuable salt prints in existence - historic early pre-emulsion work. He listened to the wrong so-called conservator; and after they were already sold, within six months they had all faded into nonexistence. He got sued to bits - bankrupted. He should have experimented with something worthless first... Hmmm (or Bzzzz)... lavendar oil ... I should hand a bottle of that to my backpacking companions in the summer; that way, all the mosquitos, biting flies, and especially sweat bees would be attracted to them instead of me!

Drew Wiley

Until the War was completely over, the Brits and Germans weren't exactly on good terms with one another, to put it mildly. So that big elephant in the room has to be kept in mind when discussing hypothetical product development cooperation during that general season. Switzerland was neutral; but they were obviously hemmed in and had to juggle their relationship with Germany very carefully. It would be fun to study the history of all this in more detail, while a few people might still be alive who were directly involved; but I've already got too many fish to fry. But I can't complain. I had a good run with Cibachrome, even with its significant idiosyncrasies.

So do you think beeswax and Lavender oil would be ok to apply to DW paper?