Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: mixing my own developer supplies

Re: mixing my own developer supplies

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Mixing Foto chemistry from powder was the way to reduce chemistry cost, assure fresh chemistry, potency of chemistry. Dry powder chemicals last a lot longer than mixed in a bottle. Items that are basic requirements:

*Copy of the Photo Lab Index, https://archive.org/details/aa143-Ph...ition/page/n11

*Copy of the book Developing by Jacobson, https://archive.org/details/Developi...hnique/page/n3

*Optional Photo chemistry books like Book of Pyro by Gordon Hutchings (PMK).

*Dry chemicals as specified in these books.

*Clean filtered or distilled water to mix the required chemistry.

*Industry standard Chemistry lab glass wear, Graduated cylinders from 25mL to 1000mL, Pyrex beakers from 100mL to 1000mL, Erlenmeyer flask from 250mL to 1000mL, Glass bottles with good caps for mixed chemistry storage (Erlenmeyer flask can be used and works good for mixed chemistry storage).

*Dry chemistry scoops. Disposable plastic spoons work OK for this.

*Accurate thermometer like a Kodak Lab process thermometer or similar lab grade-certified accuracy thermometer.

*Accurate gram-grain scale with a tare (zero with measuring container) feature.

*Magnetic stirring unit and magnetic teflon stirring bars of various sizes, https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-stir...94351026&psc=1

These are very basic Chemistry tools and the same tools needed to mix photo chemistry. It is very possible once any photographer goes down this road to mixing your own, purchasing chemistry in a bottle might not happen often any more. There are formulations that cannot be purchased with special features not available in pre-mixed chemistry from a bottle. After much trial and experimentation it is very possible there will be settling into a few basic photo chemistry formulations that work well for the goals and image making objectives needed in much the same way as choice of film, optics, camera and all related to the expressive image making process.

Bernice
    Have most of that stuff. Gonna get a couple additional and duplicate items, then I am good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Nice links... Thanks for posting that.

Only to add that for the magnetic stirrer, it may be worth to get one with heating, probe and thermostat. Today this can be cheap, some $50, IIRC. This allows to prepare photographic emulsions.

Magnetic stirrer with teflon stirring bar is standard issue in all modern Chemistry facilities. "Don't Mix Chemistry Without it"..

The resulting mixing uniformity and ease of use is well worth the entry cost.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Nice links... Thanks for posting that.

Only to add that for the magnetic stirrer, it may be worth to get one with heating, probe and thermostat. Today this can be cheap, some $50, IIRC. This allows to prepare photographic emulsions.

And it can run unattended under a vent hood

I have dead chem lab coworkers that ignored safety
    Tin Can

JP, Koraks, Thanks! I always used the adjustment on the Ohaus balance just to zero it, missed the obvious purpose to zero out the tare weight. In hindsight, painfully obvious.

Old School Wayne

It sounds like I'm using a slightly less precise method than some of you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Protein_powder.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	186303

I think of mixing one's own chemistry to be a lot like cooking... With several ingredents, one can make may different dishes, but buying pre mix is like buying frozen food... Just one thing, and expensive...

A mag mixer is something I won't live without, as it mixes while you focus on measuring the ingredents, and almost always, you can mix most chems at room temp, as it does such a good job, only sometimes with old chem rocks, or phenidone, so heat usually not needed... If you use a lot of old rocky chems, a mortar helps to smash and grind...

Note the upper weight limit of the scale you choose, as some formulas require very little of a dev agent, or restrainer, but maybe a lot of sodium sulfite, hypo etc...

All dry chems should be filtered before use, as there is sometimes some dirty specks in them, and if you reuse any chem it should be filtered... I use a large funnel, and if you fold a large coffee filter just right, it will filter well in a reasonable amount of time... I use Melita #6 white from the supermarket and filter directly into storage bottles...

For storage bottles, I just use 1 and 2 ltr soda bottles... They seal well, strong, and heat and cool well... Store 'em where it's dark, and chem lasts very long (at least 6 months for standard stock solutions when filled to the top...

Another good source for developer and other formulas is a copy of a British Journal of Photography yearbook, at your local used bookstore for a few bucks...

Once you do it, you won't want to go back!!! (And it develops the latent mad scientist in you!!!) ;-)

Have fun!!!

Steve K

Some time in the mid-1990's a Foto friend got me to try mixing photo chemistry from powder. This was not too difficult as there is some Chemistry in my past.

Once mixing up photo chemistry took hold there was no real turning back due to the possibilities, cost and many other good things. This was helped by a purchase of a HUGE batch of dry chemistry from a fellow who closed up his once large darkroom. Adding to this, the local photo store had most any dry photo chemistry on the shelf.

IMO, to do serious darkroom work, mixing photo chemistry from powder is required. This along with a proper darkroom with a GOOD enlarger is mandatory.

This is one of the possible reasons why most have stopped wet darkroom printing, there is a enormous investment and resourced required to do this properly. This also adds another layer-aspect of control to the expressive image making process.

Yes, it is much like cooking. But, be very aware some of this stuff is LETHAL. Proper caution and safe chemistry practice must apply. Much like cooking, with proper knowledge and precautions really great things can and will happen.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    I think of mixing one's own chemistry to be a lot like cooking... With several ingredents, one can make may different dishes, but buying pre mix is like buying frozen food... Just one thing, and expensive...

Once you do it, you won't want to go back!!! (And it develops the latent mad scientist in you!!!) ;-)

Have fun!!!

Steve K

Just like in a kitchen I also find infrared thermometers to be useful. Is the heated water warm enough to dissolve a chemical? stir it and read it with the kitchen instrument cat laser toy. Very quick and nothing to clean.

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    Just like in a kitchen I also find infrared thermometers to be useful. Is the heated water warm enough to dissolve a chemical? stir it and read it with the kitchen instrument cat laser toy. Very quick and nothing to clean.
    Useful tip, but I'm sold on even cheap digital ones, as when you are warming or cooling, you have the decimal temp that will start showing you the trend happening... And if a liquid vessel has a temp inversion layer, you can spot it... (inverting a chem bottle several times usually averages out the temp well before pouring)

Steve K