Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Nikon Nikkor W 105mm f/5.6 S

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Posts
    57

    Nikon Nikkor W 105mm f/5.6 S

    Hello again. I am considering a Nikkor 105/5.6 lens for my Pacemaker Speed Graphic. I have seen this lens described as for a 6x9. I assume it will work on a 4x5 Pacemaker Speed Graphic but just want to make sure after my experience with the Fujinon 90 5.6 which doesn't fit (see my other post). Thanks.

    Ed

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Del City, OK
    Posts
    227

    Re: Nikon Nikkor W 105mm f/5.6 S

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Vatza View Post
    Hello again. I am considering a Nikkor 105/5.6 lens for my Pacemaker Speed Graphic. I have seen this lens described as for a 6x9. I assume it will work on a 4x5 Pacemaker Speed Graphic but just want to make sure after my experience with the Fujinon 90 5.6 which doesn't fit (see my other post). Thanks.

    Ed
    Eh... kind of. 6x9 is smaller than 4x5. 6x9 is measured in centimeters and 4x5 is measured in inches, so that's why the larger number is actually smaller in size. The Nikkor 105/5.6 you're referring to is probably the one that only has around a 155mm image circle when stopped down to f/22. That means you'll get dark corners if you open up the lens more than f/22, which makes it not very usable. It also means that you won't have any room for movements. So, while it technically would work, it wouldn't be a great choice considering it's limitations.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Posts
    57

    Re: Nikon Nikkor W 105mm f/5.6 S

    Quote Originally Posted by jim10219 View Post
    Eh... kind of. 6x9 is smaller than 4x5. 6x9 is measured in centimeters and 4x5 is measured in inches, so that's why the larger number is actually smaller in size. The Nikkor 105/5.6 you're referring to is probably the one that only has around a 155mm image circle when stopped down to f/22. That means you'll get dark corners if you open up the lens more than f/22, which makes it not very usable. It also means that you won't have any room for movements. So, while it technically would work, it wouldn't be a great choice considering it's limitations.
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm new to large format and obviously there is a lot to learn.

    Ed

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Posts
    57

    Re: Nikon Nikkor W 105mm f/5.6 S

    Quote Originally Posted by jim10219 View Post
    Eh... kind of. 6x9 is smaller than 4x5. 6x9 is measured in centimeters and 4x5 is measured in inches, so that's why the larger number is actually smaller in size. The Nikkor 105/5.6 you're referring to is probably the one that only has around a 155mm image circle when stopped down to f/22. That means you'll get dark corners if you open up the lens more than f/22, which makes it not very usable. It also means that you won't have any room for movements. So, while it technically would work, it wouldn't be a great choice considering it's limitations.
    Is there a 105mm that you could recommend?

    Ed

  5. #5
    Do or do not. There is no try.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    839

    Re: Nikon Nikkor W 105mm f/5.6 S

    The 100mm f/6.3 Wide Field Ektar will cover 4x5 when stopped down. The 105mm Fujinon CM-W has a bit more coverage than the Nikkor, but not gobs more. There's the (relatively huge) 105mm f/8 Fujinon-SW, but I don't know if it will fit your Pacemaker Speed Graphic. The old Wollensak 4-1/4" (108mm) f/12.5 will certainly cover when stopped down.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    7,571

    Re: Nikon Nikkor W 105mm f/5.6 S

    Ed, 90 mm is more commonly used than 105 mm on 4x5. I shoot 2x3 and 6x12, not 4x5 so my experience isn't directly relevant. Nonetheless, 105 mm is a very slightly long normal lens for 2x3 and 90 mm is a slightly short normal for 2x3. I have a small pile of normal lenses for my 2x3 cameras, also a 90, and use the 90 very rarely.

    On 4x5, a 90 sees a 71 degree angle (on the format's diagonal) and a 105 sees 80 degrees. Not a huge difference.

    Steve, I just looked at the Fuji catalog on cameraeccentric.com. It shows the 90 SW with a larger rear cell than the newer 90 SWD. Go figure. Unfortunately Joe McGloin's outstanding compilation of Fuji LF lens data doesn't give dimensions.

    Ed, this site has many resources. It also has many grumpy old men who'll tell you that LF helps those who help themselves. Since you're a new arrival here, odds are you're not acquainted with the site's resources that will help you help yourself. I find the link in the first post in this https://www.largeformatphotography.i...mainly)-lenses discussion a good starting point for self-help.
    Last edited by Dan Fromm; 27-Dec-2018 at 17:33.

  7. #7
    ic-racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    5,416

    Re: Nikon Nikkor W 105mm f/5.6 S

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Vatza View Post
    Hello again. I am considering a Nikkor 105/5.6 lens for my Pacemaker Speed Graphic. I have seen this lens described as for a 6x9. I assume it will work on a 4x5 Pacemaker Speed Graphic but just want to make sure after my experience with the Fujinon 90 5.6 which doesn't fit (see my other post). Thanks.

    Ed
    If you have the 6x9cm (2x3in) film back then that lens should work fine. If you are coming to large format form smaller formats, you may find processing 120 film to be more familiar than processing 4x5in sheet film.

    Film backs for these cameras can be confusing, here is some good information:
    https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/pp/gbacks2.htm

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Posts
    57

    Re: Nikon Nikkor W 105mm f/5.6 S

    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    If you have the 6x9cm (2x3in) film back then that lens should work fine. If you are coming to large format form smaller formats, you may find processing 120 film to be more familiar than processing 4x5in sheet film.

    Film backs for these cameras can be confusing, here is some good information:
    https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/pp/gbacks2.htm
    My film experience is mostly 35mm with a bit of 120. (I have a Polaroid 110B that was converted for Polaroid pack film and Fuji Instax Wide. I added a Mamiya 6x9 120 back for it. Also use a Zeiss Ikon that my father brought home after WWII.) Otherwise I shoot digital with Fuji and Ricoh and am primarily a street photographer. LF is something I've wanted to do for quite a while. Now that I am just about 70 I figured it was now or never. But I've got a lot to learn about LF.

  9. #9
    Huub
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    148

    Re: Nikon Nikkor W 105mm f/5.6 S

    When looking for a 105mm like lens with a small back group i can recommend a 110mm Super Symmar XL. Image circle is plenty for 4x5, but it is a big and expensive lens.

    Together with a 75mm it replaced my 90mm because I often had the feeling that the 90mm was either to wide or not wide enough next to my 150mm.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    292

    Re: Nikon Nikkor W 105mm f/5.6 S

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post

    Steve, I just looked at the Fuji catalog on cameraeccentric.com. It shows the 90 SW with a larger rear cell than the newer 90 SWS. Go figure. Unfortunately Joe McGloin's outstanding compilation of Fuji LF lens data doesn't give dimensions.

    Dan, is this the information you wish to know?

    Mick.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuji_3_97_SW.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	185780


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuji_65mm_75mm_90mm_SWD_lenses.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	185781

Similar Threads

  1. Nikon Nikkor W 105mm F/5.6 Lens
    By croppitt in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 24-Jul-2013, 05:30
  2. nikon 105mm 5.6 lens
    By bill kuhns in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-Mar-2007, 18:42

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •